[At-Large] Reply to Siva [Was: Our choice for the ICANN Board]

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 18:03:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Alan Greenberg
<alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>wrote:

> Siva,
>
> I am pleased to note that all of the candidates,
> potential candidates and the rest of the
> community have refrained from personal attacks.

This is about assessing you as a candidate. Why would you belittle it as a
personal attack?

> Since you have chosen this very public forum to
> again make statements about me which are not
> based in fact, I have no choice but to reply. I will be brief.
>

> On Vertical Integration
>
> I did support the proposal that was originally
> crafted by "Affilias, GoDaddy and others". I felt
> that in the short term, it was the safest way to
> proceed until we had fully explored the possible
> harms that could come from integration. I note
> that it was also supported by Sébastien Bacholet
> and Cheryl Langdon-Orr. So I guess that makes us
> all against users and pro-business.
>

> On Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR)
>
> There is an analysis of a work group survey that
> shows the positions of all workgroup participants
> who completed a survey on possible outcomes. My
> position and yours were quite similar and
> generally EXACTLY opposite to all of the
> registrars on the group. In the places where you
> and I differed, you are the one agreeing with the registrars.
>
> You can find the analysis at
>
> https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/post-expiration-dn-recovery-wg/attachments/post_expiration_domain_name_recovery_wg:20101127152912-0-27699/original/WG-Survey-Analysis-v04.pdf
> .
> (short version: http://tinyurl.com/PEDNR-WG-Survey).

The analysis does not capture the details. The paperwork is superficial.
What is still puzzling me is your decisions to suppress basic questions
pertaining to the ownership of domain names
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-pednr-dt/msg00216.html and why you
replaced a summary
https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/post-expiration-dn-recovery-wg/attachments/post_expiration_domain_name_recovery_wg:20100310131934-0-12191/original/PEDNR%20WG%20-%20Survey%20Results%20-%2010%20March%202010.pdf
with
another one excluding comments (SM) on various underlying problems.

Working Groups have a conventions to record 'minority' opinions. Even this
is not done in the PEDNR group that you have chaired. This gave me the
impression that you were worried about displeasing the domain industry.

Sivasubramanian M