[At-Large] Reply to Siva [Was: Our choice for the ICANN Board]

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Nov 27 17:07:18 UTC 2010

Siva,

I am pleased to note that all of the candidates,
potential candidates and the rest of the
community have refrained from personal attacks.
Since you have chosen this very public forum to
again make statements about me which are not
based in fact, I have no choice but to reply. I will be brief.

On Vertical Integration

I did support the proposal that was originally
crafted by "Affilias, GoDaddy and others". I felt
that in the short term, it was the safest way to
proceed until we had fully explored the possible
harms that could come from integration. I note
that it was also supported by Sébastien Bacholet
and Cheryl Langdon-Orr. So I guess that makes us
all against users and pro-business.

On Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR)

There is an analysis of a work group survey that
shows the positions of all workgroup participants
who completed a survey on possible outcomes. My
position and yours were quite similar and
generally EXACTLY opposite to all of the
registrars on the group. In the places where you
and I differed, you are the one agreeing with the registrars.

You can find the analysis at
https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/post-expiration-dn-recovery-wg/attachments/post_expiration_domain_name_recovery_wg:20101127152912-0-27699/original/WG-Survey-Analysis-v04.pdf.
(short version: http://tinyurl.com/PEDNR-WG-Survey).

On my ties to business

I have none. I have spent virtually all of my
career in the public sector involved in education
and research, education and research networking
and more recently the Internet Society and ICANN
and the support of ICT in developing countries.

Alan