[At-Large] Mcafee's : Mapping the Mal Web: A Study of the World’s Most Dangerous Domains

Neil Schwartzman neil at cauce.org
Wed Oct 27 13:37:33 UTC 2010

Not many, and a lot of them add another layer of obfuscation to make investigation even more difficult: http://boxofmeat.net/post/1410205439/domainprivacy

No, it isn't:  http://hostedjobs.openhire.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.allpositions&company_id=16025&version=1

On 2010-10-26, at 8:52 PM, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> 3. If there is unlawful activity then let law enforcement deal with it.
>  Law enforcement people are more skilled in these things than ICANN and
> they are bound to adhere to fair procedures and subject to review; ICANN
> is not. We do not need more internet vigilantes.

Actually we do. Without net vigilantes (in the true dictionary definition sense of the word, IOW, those who form part of vigilance committees which come into being in the absence of law and order) we would not have an operative email system. Crime would be even more rampant than it is; Law enforcement agencies rely extensively on public-private and grassroots assistance. I've spent the past three months attending conferences dedicated to exactly that. The common theme presented across numerous groups? ICANN has a role to play, heretofore ignored, or poorly played.

> 5. Just because some people do things on the net that are unsavory

The issues we face as consumers on the Internet aren't merely 'unsavory' (sic). Dismissing them as such trivializes the problems we are fighting in the anti-abuse world. I hopefully needn't rehash what it is like out there'.

> it
> does not follow that the net or a domain name or a TLD or electricity or
> binary bits - all of those things are involved in the things being
> complained of - are somehow the cause and must be forced to "comply".

No, true enough. But since gaping holes in policy are being constantly abused, doesn't it behoove us as community members to advocate for filling them, and those agencies in a position to do something about the issues to use what tools they have at hand to at least try to do something about them.

I simply don't buy the slippery slope argument you present. Just because I got a justified speeding ticket yesterday doesn't mean I'll be unjustly arrested for bank robbery tomorrow.

--
Neil Schwartzman
Executive Director

http://cauce.org