[At-Large] Libya terminating unacceptable .ly domains

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Mon Oct 18 16:52:09 UTC 2010

Sorry to intervene so late, I have been pretty busy lately and this subject,
although interesting, ended on my back burner.
My personal opinion is that we are making things more dramatic than they
are.
I don't see at all a risk for the Internet if some TLDs (cc or g) decide not
to allow certain sites. I believe that the beauty (and strength) of the
internet is not in allowing (or obliging) everybody to do everything, but in
having enough diversity so that there is a space for everybody.
In short, if .ly wants to ban porn sites, this is not a tragedy. Porn sites
have hundreds of other TLDs where they can be hosted. I don't see this any
different from .museum that does not allow registrations from entities that
are not... Museums.
Let me make a parallel with restaurants. Would you argue that all
restaurants have to serve all types of food? Should vegetarian restaurants
be obliged to serve also meat? The problem does not exist the moment in
which we have enough restaurants, with enough diversity, so that every type
of food can be served. And the customers have the choice.
So, I tend to agree with Karl, saying that the issue is to have enough TLDs
to produce enough diversity.
Cheers,
Roberto