[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Sat Sep 11 20:54:14 UTC 2010

Karl,

I was hoping to avoid the semantics (of a particular jurisdiction) and focus on the intent.

But as you have raised this. California law appears to have the intent of creating schizophrenic board members of not for profit public benefit corporations. As you say on the one hand they have to mind the company and on the other they have to mind the public benefit. Doing this simultaneously is a huge challenge even for what an American might term a mom and pop outfit. But managing this for a body in the eye of global public interest is remarkably ambitious for those people on the board.

The problem ICANN faces is not really one of the detail or interpretation of California law. It is whether it holds the public trust globally.

I would not be surprised if the perception of the fiduciary or trustee or public benefit (whatever you may wish to term it) interests being upheld by the board of ICANN is not seriously dented should the majority of the board be paid for that role by ICANN. This may be unfair but it is likely.

The management of public confidence is one reason why English Charity law separates out the trustee (board) from the management board and why the trustee board members are not paid. It ensures that there is clear air between those who are tasked for managing the purposes of the charity (for public benefit) and those tasked by those people to manage the organisational functions to satisfy that purpose.

I also think it is worth considering that the likely reaction to a loss of trust in the public benefit credentials of the ICANN board would be to restore that by imposing or arranging some other oversight mechanism over ICANN.

It is perhaps also worth noting at this point in my comment that there is no reason other than the antecedents of the location of ISI --> Jon Postel --> IANA for why ICANN should be solely a California regulated body.

Christian