[At-Large] ALAC Director
karl at cavebear.com
Sat Sep 4 22:09:01 UTC 2010
On 09/03/2010 03:20 PM, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
A couple of quick comments.
1. You have been a good board member; if you chose to submit your name
you would hear cheers from many quarters, including this one.
2. A small but significant point regarding the subject line. The board
seat is not that of an "ALAC Director" but rather one for the "at
large", a term that is larger than the system of the ALAC and its
hierarchy of RALOs and ALSs.
3. You and I know better than most that doing the job of an ICANN
director is very hard. It is not just the ICANN side but also the task
of being in communication with the community of internet users, engaging
with them, debating, agreeing, disagreeing, and most importantly,
accepting when persuasive arguments require us to change our point of view.
4. With regard to director remuneration. I make a distinction between
payments just for being a board member and having a fund available to
cover certain well defined expenses that a director may incur (with the
money flowing directly from ICANN without actually passing through the
hands of the director.) My sense is that the latter would give rise to
5. The stress of the role is enormous. If one is married it is rather
important to have spousal agreement as the role puts a lot of stress
onto a relationship.
More information about the At-Large