[At-Large] facebook vote

Rudi Vansnick rudi.vansnick at isoc.be
Wed Sep 1 12:15:40 UTC 2010

Op 1-sep-2010, om 14:01 heeft Vittorio Bertola het volgende geschreven:

>> I do hope that people realize that many people refuse to use Facebook
>> because of its abysmal privacy practices.
>
> Also, many people were forced to start using Facebook notwithstanding
> its abysmal privacy practices, because (at least here in Italy) for the
> generation aged 15-25 Facebook === Internet. Most of them don't even
> have an email address any more (let alone blogs or personal websites),
> so if you want to communicate or spread ideas and information, you have
> to be on Facebook.
> Ciao,

This is for me just a bit too far. If we all consider Facebook being the place to be and take distance from any other communication tool or platform, all of a sudden we will be dominated and manipulated by structure as Facebook. Corporate business already took some distance and are disabling their personnel having access to facebook. I understand that presence in a space such as facebook is offering advantages but I'm still considering it as a space where i will leave some links to our space without distributing information on facebook itself. It could start living it's own live which is as such uncontrollable  and could harm us more then it would help us.

My cent in this ..

Rudi Vansnick