[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 13:31:41 UTC 2010

Why oh why can I never ignore your flamebait ;-/

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:10 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> good many things ICANN does, it does quite alright. So whats my problem
> with ICANN? Well, it is at two levels.
>
> One, I keep trying to figure out who really is in charge of most of the
> things on the Internet?
I am afraid many are going to jump with the
> reply - people or internet users,  which is simply not true.
 It is true
> that the Internet was once a network of tens of thousands of networks,
> and one could assume some kind of 'democracy' and diffusion of power vis
> a vis the Internet. Today Internet is largely the domain of a few
> mega-companies (even more so on the mobile Internet).

Do Google or Yahoo decide who ITforChange connects to? no, you do.

So, it is these
> companies that are largely in control of the Internet,

simply erroneous.

 which is not
> something I like very much (even less than I may like ICANN :) ). So I
> really want some kind of good democratic global governance for IG.

and some of us want good democratic local and regional IG.

> But the question remains, why I dont like ICANN so much.
>
> Because it is a pioneering model of a new form of global governance
> which I am afraid will spread to other aspects of Internet governance,
> and then, I am even more afraid, perhaps even to non-Internet related
> global issues. The problems with the global governance model that ICANN
> is pioneering are:
>
> 1. It considers it OK that the biggest power in the world, the US gov,
> has complete veto on all issues, and is largely able to set the overall
> political vision and agenda.

you have to know that this statement is completely untrue on its face.
 Please document this if you disagree!

--
Cheers,

McTim