[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Aug 30 13:29:02 UTC 2010

 Hello Franck,

not so sure: looking at NomCom applications, whilst a lot of
applications were from the "usual suspects", there were also a lot of
new names and people who wished to assume a leadership position at ICANN.
ICANN is increasingly seen as an interesting experiment in
multi-stakeholder participation - not only something of interest if you
have a direct stake in domain names.

I despair to hear everybody saying "ICANN needs this, ICANN needs that"
and finding out that so few people out there are doing real outreach -
because outreach is the key to more people being interested in ICANN,
and outreach, in my opinion, should not be  function solely done by the
RALO heads, secretaries & committee members of ALAC. Outreach is
something which everybody in At Large should be doing.

Until we all speak out, and take every opportunity possible to
communicate the mission we have defined ourselves, at conferences, IGF,
meetings, at industry events and parties and even with people we meet on
aircraft around the world, we'll have a high likelyhood of finding the
usual suspects applying for ICANN leadership positions. Until then, our
world will not reach further than the other edge of our teacup. :-)

Kind regards,

Olivier

Le 28/08/2010 00:57, Franck Martin a écrit :
> Unless there is a system like Jury Duty, you will only have at the ICANN board, people who are interested by ICANN matters (the ICANN sphere).
>
> So let's not live in an utopia.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html