[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Thompson, Darlene DThompson at GOV.NU.CA
Fri Aug 27 15:28:30 UTC 2010

I remember this discussion from the open discussion in Nairobi.  There were definitely two "camps".  The big concern that if there was reasonable "pay" to be on the board, they would only get people that were in it for the money.  The subject of equitable remuneration for actual expenses and extra support (like Karl is suggesting) also came up but nothing was decided at that time.  I, personally, think that the remuneration idea would be most appropriate but I'm still on the fence.

Darlene A. Thompson
CAP Administrator
Nunavut Department of Education/N-CAP
P.O. Box 1000, Sation 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
E-mail:  dthompson at gov.nu.ca

________________________________

From: at-large-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org on behalf of Karl Auerbach
Sent: Fri 8/27/2010 5:17 AM
To: at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org
Subject: Re: [At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

On 08/26/2010 09:43 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

> If ICANN wants to expand the pool of board members to include people
> outside those two categories, it either needs to drastically slash the
> amount of time it asks of board members

The best way to do that would be for ICANN to reconsider its role as
regulatory body over economic and social matters and pick up its
self-described role as a mere coordinator of matters reasonably relevant
to technical stability of DNS name resolution.

When I was on the board (2003 time frame) a couple of us chatted about
how much it cost to be on the board.  The rough number was that we were
losing roughly $300,000 per year in terms of lost direct income and lost
opportunity income.  The ratio of direct/opportunity loss varied
significantly by individual.

The computed cost was roughly proportional to the degree of engagement -
passive members who were mainly "goers" (i.e. did little more than
attend meetings) had lower costs.  More active members ("doers") had
significantly higher costs.

It's been my observation that ICANN needs more "doer" directors than
"goer" directors.

One method of compensating directors would not be to pay them directly
but, rather, for ICANN to provide a fund for each director that could be
drawn upon to cover certain well defined (and limited) costs - such as
clerical support or some coverage of independent legal or accounting advice.

        --karl--