[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Aug 27 04:43:49 UTC 2010

> No, there is no such rule, but California has a minimum wage (which is a
> bit above US federal minimum wage), ...

I wouldn't see that as a useful way to set an adequate level of
compensation for board members.  As it currently stands, to be on the
ICANN board, one either needs to have an employer who is willing to pay
for the time spent on board work, or else be independently wealthy enough
(or I suppose have a spouse with enough income) to subsidize oneself.

If ICANN wants to expand the pool of board members to include people
outside those two categories, it either needs to drastically slash the
amount of time it asks of board members (not unreasonable, no other
non-profit I know asks a fraction of what ICANN does), or else pay them
enough to make up for the lost income.  For the calibre of people I'd hope
to attract, that'd would be something upwards of $50,000/yr.  If we guess
that half the board would accept pay, that'd be $500,000/yr, not a big
number in a $65 million budget.  If they want really good board members,
they should offer $100K.

R's,
John