[APAC-Discuss] Working Group on Membership-related Matters

Satish Babu sb at inapp.com
Thu Jul 4 15:45:41 UTC 2019

Dear APRALO Community,

APRALO has been steadily growing in its reach and membership over the
course of the last decade, and is today a vibrant community that
contributes actively to ICANN's policy processes, besides supporting its
own activities.

One of our recent innovations has been the introduction of individual
members, which was largely aimed at supporting individuals in communities
where we had no ALSes. We note that our individual membership has steadily
been increasing and also that individual members have begun to contribute
significantly to the work of At-Large.

We would like to improve our membership experience, particularly (but not
only) for our individual members. To this end, taking into consideration
some of the constructive feedback received this week, the APRALO Leadership
Team has decided, in its meeting on 4 July 2019, to set up a Working Group
that will consider the following aspects related to membership:

1. Examine existing provisions in our Rules of Procedure relating to the
obligations and responsibilities of Unaffiliated Individual Members, and
suggest new provisions or modifications to existing provisions.

2. Clearly stipulate the roles and responsibilities of the elected
representative of Unaffiliated Individual Members and his/her relations
*vis-à-vis* the APRALO Leadership Team.

3. Design a Code of Conduct document laying out expected standards of
behavior and other related matters, which is intended to be shared with
every newcomer to our community.

If you would to join this Working Group, kindly forward your name to
At-Large Staff (staff at atlarge.icann.org) on or before Friday, 12 July 2019.

On a related note, APRALO, as one of the five RALOs of ICANN At-Large, is
expected to abide by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior (available
here: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en).
As a community, each of us are expected to be respectful towards one
another and to behave in a collegial fashion on email, during remote
meetings, or while meeting face to face, even when we disagree with others.
Further, if you feel strongly about something, it is always better to write
to APRALO leaders and not escalate it outside our community, which may make
it difficult to address the issue at hand satisfactorily. I hope we will
address this concern in our future interactions.

With kind regards,

satish