[APAC-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Change in 2019 APRALO Individual Representative

Mili milisemlani at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 15:07:17 UTC 2019

Dear all,
  I am deeply humbled and extremely grateful that you chose me to be the voice of APRALO individual members. But I have to say this with a heavy heart that I will not be able to continue with this role as I am elected as NCUC EC for APAC. As a relative newcomer to ICANN, I was not aware of the conflict in interest both these positions lead to (as one cannot hold leadership position in an different ICANN constituencies simultanoeusly). I apologise for not keeping up with the trust you all have vested in me.

But I hope you understand my reasons for doing so:

1. NCUC and At Large are like cousins in the ICANN ecosystem. For those of you who may not know, NCUC too protects and voices the issues of the end users, registrants (who are majorly internet end users too. But while our TG groups are aligned, both operate at different levels in the ICANN ecosystem and policy development process. NCUC has very few representatives from the Asia Pacific
region (let alone leaders)and  while I would like to retain your membership of APRALO and At-Large I also believe that increasing the Asia Pacific voice within NCUC is very important at this time, even while being pulled by my loyalty to At-Large.

2. Also as a continuing individual member of APRALO (which is still allowed) I believe I could encourage the continued relationship building between At-Large and the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG) and would support and be actively engaged in the joint activities that have already been established between At-Large and NCUC and NPOC. APRALO and At Large may also benefit from a staunch At-Large supporter in NCUC, thus reinstate the voice of end users and particularly from APAC.

3. While my engagement and support for APRALO will in no way reduce, if anything, it will only enhance my understanding of policy development and open yet another avenue for us to support out regions issues. This dilemma and my decision to withdraw from my first and recently elected position and to move on and become the best representative for APRALO on the Executive Committee at Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC) was not an easy one.
4. Wrt the leadership position, the NCUC EC in APAC definitely needs someone more committed to the region (especially when there are no other takers and the seat would remain vacant which would mean no APAC leader there) and I think my time and experience can be of great benefit for the same. But at the same time I feel guilty of letting down the trustof individual APRALO members vested in me in the recent elections.

I hope you will understand my disposition and support my decision. I am sincerely apologetic about giving up the APRALO Individual member rep role (after winning with a big majority) and all the inconvenience caused to APRALO leaders, staff and members.

Congrats Hanan and good luck!
—
With gratitude
Mili Semlani