[APAC-Discuss] New ALS Application Received - ISOC Chapter Indonesia Jakarta

Satish Babu sb at inapp.com
Tue Nov 28 04:54:53 UTC 2017

Interesting question...thanks Yannis!

I met Tinuk during the ISOC APAC Leaders meeting a couple of weeks back,
and encouraged her to apply for membership in APRALO. As you are aware,
Indonesia is one of the large countries in APAC where we do not yet have a
presence (the others include Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia and
Laos...this is something that we are working on at present).

Considering that this is an ISOC Chapter, it is very likely that they have
individual members. Noting that their primary language is Bahasa (even
their website is in Bahasa), we may have to interpret their responses
cautiously. Running their profile (from the isoc.id website) through Google
Translate, I get the following:

The ISOC organization in Indonesia was reactivated in Jakarta on January
10, 2012 at the initiative of 30 people from the IT community by forming a
non-profit organization incorporated under the Law Society called Internet
User Beneficiaries (MAPI).

To get a more conclusive picture, I request Staff to get a formal response
from Tinuk on the following questions:

* Does their By-law provide for individual membership?
* Are they open to accepting individual members right now?
* Can individual members take up Board/Governance positions?

satish