[APAC-Discuss] New Year Greetings from APRALO!

Satish Babu sb at inapp.com
Mon Jan 2 06:34:36 UTC 2017

Dear all,

On behalf of all of us on the APRALO Leadership Team, I'd like to wish
everyone in the APRALO community a very productive New Year! I'd like to
use this occasion to share with you a short update on APRALO for 2017.

*1. At-Large Review*As you would be aware, the ICANN At-Large Community is
going through a scheduled review process, and at present the Review Party
is discussing the initial findings of the review team. Once we have a
consensus on the draft recommendations, there will be a wider consultative
process where the Community will have an opportunity to comment, and I hope
you will make your voices heard. This review is particularly important as
it may result in modifications to the current At-Large structures and
functions.

*2. 2017 Focus areas*
As discussed in the December call, our priority areas for 2017 are:

   - Taking up Capacity Building activities
   - Enhancing participation in ICANN Policy Processes
   - Enhancing Community Engagement within APRALO
   - Contributing to regional community initiatives with our partners and
   ICANN
   - Continuing the Mentoring Programme

As we go forward, we will be refining the first four areas into action
plans (the Mentoring Programme is already under way). In the meantime, if
you have any suggestions on any of the above, kindly pass them on to us.

*3. APRALO General Assembly (October 2017)*
We are presently planning for our General Assembly during ICANN60, which is
scheduled for Abu Dhabi, UAE. We will be inviting active member ALSes to
participate. The earlier practice has been to provide travel support to one
person per invited ALS, and we may follow the same pattern this time as
well.

As announced in earlier calls, we would be inviting only active ALSes to
the 2017 GA. The following metrics will define 'active' ALSes:

   - At least one ALS representative participates in the monthly APRALO
   calls
   - The ALS participates in any activity where ALS participation is
   requested (such as periodic surveys, feedback or short presentation on
   ALSes during the monthly calls)
   - The web page of ALS on the APRALO Wiki is updated with reasonable
   frequency (with leadership team data, 2017 activity/work plan etc)

These metrics will be collected starting from Jan 2017.

*4. APRALO Newsletter*
APRALO has been considering launching a Newsletter. We invite volunteers
for the Editorial Panel, each of whom would serve as the Guest Editor for
the Newsletter for a month on a rotating basis. If you have the skills for
this task, kindly contact me. We will launch the newsletter if there is
sufficient response.

Once again, I wish you a very fruitful year ahead, and also hope that we
can work together to accomplish our mandate.

Thanks and regards,

satish