[APAC-Discuss] [ALAC] John Kerry Calls For The Internet To Be Placed Under The Authority Of The United Nations

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu May 21 10:10:12 UTC 2015

Sorry, but the article is crap.

Please read Kerry's remarks first-hand
<http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2015/05/242553.htm>. The UN is
mentioned only once in the speech, and in no way related to control.

Instead, he says:

"That’s why we have to be wary of those who claim that the system is broken
> or who advocate replacing it with a more centralized arrangement – where
> governments would have a monopoly on the decision-making. That’s dangerous.
> Now, I don’t know what you think, but I am confident that if we were to ask
> any large group of internet users anywhere in the world what their
> preferences are, the option “leave everything to the government” would be
> at the absolute bottom of the list. Because of the dynamic nature of this
> technology, new issues are constantly on the horizon – but the
> multi-stakeholder approach remains the fairest and the best, most effective
> way to be able to resolve those challenges."

(Thanks to Dan York of the Internet Society for the transcription, which
was used in the ISOC Skype chat in which the UN claim was thoroughly
debunked.)

- Evan

On 21 May 2015 at 11:42, Ali Almeshal <dralialmeshal at gmail.com> wrote:

> John Kerry Calls For The Internet To Be Placed Under The Authority Of The
> United Nations
>
> http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/blog/?p=33147
>

> Sent from my iPhone

> ALAC Working Wiki: