[APAC-Discuss] NOW OPEN - Call for Nominations for ALAC Members and ALAC Voting Delegates to the NomCom

Gunela Astbrink g.astbrink at gsa.com.au
Tue May 12 03:34:36 UTC 2015

Dear APRALO members,

We now have two APRALO candidates, Dr Amir Qayyum and me.
Further details are at:
https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/2015+ALAC+and+RALO+Elections%2C+Selections+and+Appointments

I was nominated by Cheryl Langdon-Orr at the last APRALO meeting on 21st
April.

Here is my background to explain why I believe I can contribute as an
ALAC voting delegate to the NomCom.

I have been active in the global Internet community for over 15 years
with participation in the Internet Society, globally, regionally and
nationally and through this to ICANN and the IGF.

My professional life started with library and information management
qualifications in Australia before heading to Europe where I led and
participated in projects at the Telematics and Disability Centre of
Telia (Swedish Telecom) and European Union-funded projects such as COST
219 and CARDIAC. I have researched and written policy on accessibility
to information and communications technologies for the past 25 years.

I am a Director of the Internet Society of Australia since 2000 and a
member of the Pacific Islands Chapter of the Internet Society since
2008. I have been successful in applying for ISOC Community Grants
workshops that have been delivered in Sri Lanka for Chapter Leaders and
in Pacific Island countries as part of annual Pacific INETs.

I was the inaugural Australian IGF ambassador (2013) and before and
since that time, have succeeded in proposing workshops and organising
speakers for national, regional and global IGFs. I am currently a member
of the APrIGF Multistakeholder Steering Group.

I am a member of ICANN’s APRALO, the At-Large Accessibility Taskforce
and the Technology Taskforce and was Assistant Moderator at ATLAS II’s
Thematic Group 3. I was selected in 2013 to be part of the inaugural
At-Large Mentor Program.

I am Principal of GSA InfoComm and a Fellow of the RSA, 21st
enlightenment. I am an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow in the Institute
for Integrated and Intelligent Systems at Griffith University and have
taught Information Policy and Governance to postgraduate students in
Griffith University’s Department of International Business and Asian
Studies.

I contribute to the Internet community through writing Issues Papers and
award-winning articles, organising capacity-building workshops and
speaking at Internet and telecommunications conferences and events
throughout the world.

In 2012, I was invited to join ISOC’s NomCom to identify and select
candidates for the Board of Trustees.

All these activities have given me the opportunity of building a large
network of colleagues globally in technical, legal, social and academic
circles. I believe that this experience and network will be a useful
foundation to contribute to ICANN’s NomCom. I look forward to your support.

Regards,
Gunela Astbrink