[APAC-Discuss] [At-Large] Jack Ma New Co-Chair of Global Internet Governance Alliance #AliBaba #GIGA

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:22:47 UTC 2015

Hi Evan,
On 6 July 2015 at 17:51, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
>though the episode,as described,  indicates a remarkable lack
>of media relations competence.
> Such a major issues as "what is the group named", one would think, should
> not be the subject of such needless confusion.

I couldn't agree more. It is my sincere hope that the NMI will take
this under advisement and attempt to coordinate the release of
information from its proceedings in the future.

> Adding
> Chinese representation to the mix doesn't magically provide an answer to
> that question.

In the Council's defense, the selection of Jack Ma was not a
deliberate attempt at selecting a Chinese Co-Chair, but one that
occurred naturally by some random selection. This brings me to the
issues I have.

The Co-Chair selection criteria leaves a lot to be desired. I sure
hope there will be sanity in the future. I would hate to learn that at
some arbitrary time, the Council convened and at that the said
meeting, it chose 4 Co-Chairs instead......And this is very likely if
no rules are adopted on such trivial matters as selection of a chair.

Regards,

--
Douglas Onyango, PRINCE 2, ITILv3
UG: +256 776 716 138