[APAC-Discuss] Material for your consideration and review in preparation for this months APRALO Meeting

Cheryl Langdon-Orr langdonorr at gmail.com
Mon May 26 05:54:35 UTC 2014

Regarding Agenda Item 5 of tomorrows APRALO Call which reads as follows =>
 *5. APRALO General Assembly in London - brief update on planned activities
(Officer selections / consensus call(s) finalisation during the GA) -
Cheryl and Maureen (10 minutes)*
This email is to ensure that the region is clear on what our newly adopted
Rules of Procedure require us to do, and to ensure that you all have a copy
attached of these new Rules adopted in March during the Singapore Meeting,
as well as to clearly outline what Leadership Positions are requiring
people to be confirmed in role or selected.

We need to select/ confirm people in the following positions:

1. An ALAC Representative for 2 year term ending in November 2016 - Holly
currently serves in this role and she is willing and able to continue for
another term.

2. The APRALO Chair to serve a 2 year term ending in November 2016 -
Siranush is currently Acting Chair having stepped in for Holly and it is
proposed by the current Leadership of the RALO, that she continue in this
role for another complete term of office.

3. A  Vice Chair to serve a 2 year term ending in November 2016 - Fouad
currently serves in this role and the suggestion is that Ali would be
proposed for this role.

4. A Vice Chair to serve a 1 year term ending in October 2015 - this is
currently "vacant" as Siranush held this role but stepped in as Acting
Chair when Holly resigned her role in this capacity, earlier this year and
the suggestion is that Satish would be proposed for this role.

Rational: Noting that all the aforementioned people are highly active
either in the roles already or in APRALO activities, and all have offered
or agreed to serve in these roles, this would mean that the APRALO
Leadership team would have the best possible geographic and time zone
spread as well as gender equity that we can manage for our Region as the
two RALO Reps and Chair (Female) and the two new Vice Chairs and our
Secretary (Male) would be a 3:3 ratio that covers most of our Geo sub
regions :-)

The Following extract of our new Rules of Procedure are relevant to this
process and it is hoped that at tomorrows meeting we will establish
agreement on this proposed 'line up' of appointees to the Leadership Team.

*Section D: Selections, Elections and Appointments*

*28. General Provisions*

28.1 According to the ICANN by-laws, the APRALO appointments, and
selections should be made wherever possible by Consensus, but failing that,
elections can always be used and the methodology for such is outlined in
these RoP.

28.2 Elections and selections can take place by electronic mail, online
ballot, written ballot, or any other convenient and accurate means that are
deemed to provide appropriate degree of confidentiality.

* 29 Procedures for the Selection of Leaders and the APRALO Leadership Team*

*29.1 Ordinary Leadership selections*

29.1.1 Ordinary selections of the APRALO Chair and Vice Chair(s) shall be
held so as to have the new selections prior to the start of the end of June
each year. The selection should preferably be completed at least three
weeks prior to the start of the June/July ICANN Meeting to facilitate
travel arrangements IF the selectee is expected to attend that ICANN
Meeting. They are expected however to attend the ICANN Meeting were the
ICANN AGM is held and where they will effectively 'take their seats' for
the roles that are appointed to.

*IF  agreement is gained during tomorrows call then these people can simply
be confirmed during our GA each being properly listed as in 'position
elect' until London HOWEVER IF it is required by the Region to hold a vote
as NO consensus can be reached by the Region, then the following Rule will
apply.*

29.1.2 In the case where no consensus has been reached or it is deemed
necessary to hold a vote

29.1.3 The time schedule of the election process must take into account
possible run-off election.

29.1.4 The election of APRALO leaders will follow the process outlined in
Paragraph 30.2.  [this paragraph specifies how votes where natural persons
are involved are to be conducted please refer to copy of full rules
attached]

We will also be soon calling for names and volunteers to propose to the
ALAC for appointment as the AP NomCom Representative for 2015 - this year
Satish has served in this role and whilst he can submit his name to be
considered for a second year (no more can be served consecutively at this
point in time) we believe his being an effective and engaged Vice Chair
would be of the greatest benefit to APRALO at this time, and it will allow
for another future leader to be nurtured along by having a role all being
it a very time consuming and demanding one, in NomCom 2015... It is of
course totally up to the ALAC who they appoint to these Geo-Regional
Representational roles and they could appoint a person who did not have
their  name put forward for consideration by the RALO...  To that end
however the following rule parts apply.

29.2 Extraordinary selections, elections and appointments and Other
Appointments

29.2.1 Appointments of At-Large Appointees to various bodies both inside
and outside of ICANN will be made by the APRALO. Such appointments will
normally be initiated by a call for volunteers, posted by the Chair/Staff
to the Approved Distribution Lists, and on other lists if appropriate,
allowing at least seven days for people to volunteer. The decision
regarding appointments is typically made via Consensus. However, the Chair
will initiate a secret ballot to determine which candidate is to be
appointed if Consensus cannot be reached or if this is requested by any
APRALO Member.

29.2.2 By the decision of the APRALO, a current Appointee who is willing to
continue in that role may be reconfirmed instead of initiating a new
selection process.

29.2.3 In the case of selections requiring complex criteria evaluation, the
APRALO may choose to form a sub-committee to carry out the analysis and to
make recommendations to the APRALO based on that analysis.

29.2.4 For situations where the APRALO is not empowered to make
appointments but rather to endorse one or more candidates, essentially the
same process as described here for appointments should be used, but with
the outcome being an endorsement.

 *Cheryl Langdon-O**rr ...  *(CLO)

about.me/cheryl.LangdonOrr
[image: Cheryl Langdon-Orr on about.me]