[APAC-Discuss] [IDN-WG] [ALAC] The Problem of IDNs

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Sun May 11 02:10:01 UTC 2014

The application and acceptance of IDNs, including IDN TLDs, are, in a large
part, dependent on the technical development and deployment of the relevant
language community. The domain name resolution and email application for
Chinese-character IDN and TLDs are working fine in the big Chinese
communities . It is true it is not "universally" accepted in any part of
world, but IDNs are primarily for the use within the relevant language
community. Of course, ICANN should, firstly, support the language community
bottom-up initiatives, and secondly, stimulate the universal acceptance in
the one world one Internet. I'm not sure whether all the IDNs are mature in
the second phase.

Hong

Professor Dr. Hong Xue
Director of Beijing Normal University Institute for Internet Policy & Law
(IIPL)
Co-Director of UNCITRAL-BNU Joint Certificate Program on International
E-Commerce Law
http://www.iipl.org.cn/
19 Xin Jie Kou Wai Street
Beijing 100875 China