[APAC-Discuss] Beijing ALS - China (Brief Message)

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 07:06:56 UTC 2014

Dear All,

I am very sad to hear about how the Beijing police have taken into custody
prominent economics professor Ilham Tohti on January 15, together with at
least six of his students.

The detention of Mr. Tohti, who has been outspoken in support of human
rights for China’s ethnic Uighur citizens.

It appears to be part of a disturbing pattern of arrests and detentions of
public interest lawyers, Internet activists, journalists, religious leaders
and others who peacefully challenge official Chinese policies and actions.

I am curious as to how the ALS in Beijing is. In any event as the world
prepares for the world's biggest migratory track as people go to their
hometowns and villages to prepare for New Year, my thoughts and well wishes
are with you as you prepare to farewell the old year and herald the new
Lunar Year for all Asian countries.

Best Wishes,

Sala