[APAC-Discuss] APRALO August report

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Mon Sep 2 02:54:18 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone

This is my report for the August APRALO meeting, which I had to miss, but which Siranush agreed to chair - and I'm sure did a terrific job.  Some reminders:  we are encouraging all of you to attend the calls as a first.  You should also be checking whether the details on the website for your organisation are correct and complete.  Cheryl would like some volunteers for the WG on the APRALO procedures, and finally, think about a policy issue that we should have a webinar on.

And staff: please post this as my August report

Thanks

Holly

APRALO MONTHLY REPORT: August 2013

ALSs

The following three orgnisations have been formally accepted as ALSs

·      the Australian Communications Consumer Action Network

·      South Pacific Computer Society

·      Internet Society - Nepal Chapter

APRALO Meeting in August:

- Spotlight: Satish Babu give the first spotlight presentation on his ALS, the Computer Society of India, including its formation, structure and activities:  see https://community.icann.org/display/APRALO/APRALO+ALSes+Spotlight.

-       Satish provided an update of the Meeting Strategy WG . The issues being considered include whether ICANN should continue with three global meetings a year, or two meetings a year plus another meeting in each region, selection of venues for meetings (including rotation and selection criteria) and suppot arrangements for travel and visas.  The WG is due to report to the Board in September.

-       Policy Update: Olivier summarized the current issues before ICANN, including ALAC’s involvement in the policies, Participation of ALSs in policy discussions was encouraged

-       APRALO’s relationship with APNIC was discussed.

-       The meeting agreed that there should be a WG to look at APRALO procedures and their compliance with the revised ALAC Rules of Procedure (RoP).

Action items on everyone (including staff)

·      be sure all of you are signed up to the APRALO and other mailing lists

·      on the APRALO ALS list, check that the entry for your ALS is correct - and let staff know if anything that needs correcting

·      volunteer to talk about your ALS to an APRALO meeting

·      consider volunteering for the WG on RoP

·      suggest policy topics for webinars