[APAC-Discuss] METRICS

Maureen Hilyard moarimh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 04:52:09 UTC 2013

APRALO colleagues

As Siranush had informed you already, I am on a working group (headed by
Cheryl Langdon-Orr)  that is looking at measuring the performance of ALAC
members (as expected in the ALAC Rules of Procedure). We are later to be
looking at ALSes and RALOs.

It is an extremely difficult thing to do when:
* the people in these positions are volunteers who have offered to do this
work out of the goodness of their hearts - how do you measure their
contribution to a task that has been set?
* the Board and Management are becoming more vocal about getting value for
money spent within the system - it costs a lot of money to bring the
committees of the ICANN system together for each meeting. three times a
year. They rightfully  want to know that they are getting their money's
worth.
* it is very difficult to ascertain what METRICS are appropriate to measure
each particular type of performance (attendance? contribution? value of
contribution? others?)

As ALSes you elect your APRALO representatives on the ALAC (me and Holly)
and although Raf has been appointed to the ALAC as and APRALO NOMCOM
candidate - the expectations should be the same.

Therefore I'd really like to hear not only about WHAT performance criteria
should be evaluated but also HOW it might be appropriately measured. I
would like to use the advice of the ALSes to put together an evaluative
process which could help us evaluate all the groups we have been tasked to
evaluate.

This is what we are looking at, at the moment:

1. Do ALAC members attend all the meetings they should?  Some attend the
face to face meetings, but not the online meetings. ICANN is not looking at
these candidates very favourably.

2. Do ALAC members who attend the meetings actually contribute anything to
the meetings? Some attend meetings but they don't say anything - what value
do they give? Some log into teleconference meetings, but because they don't
contribute anything, it is difficult to know whether they actually
listening?)

3. Do ALAC members participate on working groups? We have lots of members
who volunteer for a working group, and never turn up for meetings to do the
work. Its the same people every time doing the work .

There may be other questions you may want to ask. Please do...

Very importantly, HOW can we more effectively evaluate performance - what
do you use in your workplace?

Let me know.. I'd love to hear from you.

Maureen