[APAC-Discuss] US loses its vote in UNESCO

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 11:13:42 UTC 2013

Dear All,

The US just lost its vote in UNESCO. For details see the Press Statement
released by the US Government today:

Dear All,

The US just lost its vote in UNESCO. See the Statement released by the US
Gov:

U.S. Mission to the United Nations: Statement on the Loss of U.S. Vote at
UNESCO <http://usun.state.gov/briefing/statements/217394.htm>
11/08/2013 08:54 PM EST

------------------------------

 AS DELIVERED

Today the United States lost its vote in the United Nations Educational,
Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) General Conference as a
result of legislative restrictions that prohibit the U.S. from paying its
dues.  While these restrictions are motivated by concerns that we share,
the loss of the United States' vote in UNESCO diminishes our influence
within an organization that is looked to around the world for leadership on
issues of importance to our country, including the rights of women and
girls, Internet governance, freedom of the press, and the recognition and
protection of cultural heritage.  The Obama Administration has called upon
Congress to approve legislative changes that would allow needed flexibility
in the application of these statutory restrictions.

U.S. leadership in UNESCO matters. As such, the United States will remain
engaged with the organization in every possible capacity, including
attending meetings, participating in debates, and maintaining our seat as
an elected member of the Executive Board until 2015.