[APAC-Discuss] Uncharted Domains and the New Land Rush: Indigenous Rights to Top-Level Domain

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Thu May 9 23:28:56 UTC 2013

Hi, KT.

The unrecognized/under-recognized IP of special groups including those of
indigenous communities was one of the 4 initial issue areas that I
identified for the APRALO Multistakeholder Policy Roundtable in Beijing -
we did not have sufficient capacity to deal with the issue then.

I am really glad that you are bringing this issue up now and it would be
fantastic if the region mobilizes and takes the leadership on it. But we
need a driver for the issue and I am hoping that you would be willing to
take the lead (eg, initiating consultations, drafting statements if
applicable or contributing relevant sections in statements drafted by
others in the ALAC and in APRALO, etc).  I would be happy to discuss a
strategy for mobilization on this with you if you would find it useful.

And yes, I agree that IP and IP related to IDNs are angles that the region
can pursue the issue.

Best regards,

Rinalia