[APAC-Discuss] about .jiankang (.健康) and the proposed objection from ALAC

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 07:55:03 UTC 2013

Dear APRALO,

Further thoughts to add to Edmon and Rinalia's posts. As I fed the ¡°.½¡¿µ¡± into
the search engines, I was directed to a few sites which I have tabulated
for ease of reference.

*WEBSITES IN CHINESE CHARACTER*

*TRANSLATION*

*½¡¿µ_Å®ÐÔ½¡¿µ¡¢½¡¿µÐ¡³£Ê¶·ÖÏí_̫ƽÑóÅ®ÐÔÍø½¡¿µÆµµÀ <http://health.pclady.com.cn/>*

Health.pclady.com.cn
  *½¡¿µ*ƵµÀ_»·ÇòÍø <http://health.huanqiu.com/>

Health.huanqiu.com
  *½¡¿µ*ƵµÀ-ËѺü <http://health.sohu.com/>

health.sohu.com
  99*½¡¿µ*Íø_99Ïà°é*½¡¿µ*Ò»Éú <http://www.99.com.cn/>

99.com.cn/
  *½¡¿µ*ÎÀÉúƵµÀ--ÈËÃñÍø <http://health.people.com.cn/>

health.people.com.cn

Non existent

http://www.39.net/
  Non existent

http://www.jk3721.com

 Whilst, I recognize that the Chinese languages are spoken by a far wider
diasporas than mainland China itself as Rinalia has pointed out, I thought
that it would also be useful to the dialogue to add to the discussions.

 On the issue of the ¡°.½¡¿µ¡±I think that it would also be useful when
considering public interest to also look at how such a string could prove
beneficial for the ordinary end user. There are excellent opportunities for
the public to have access to diverse information on Heath related matters
on ¡°.½¡¿µ¡±and would further submit that this could help address some of the
public health issues by providing a medium or information infrastructure
where those intending to provide health services and advisory information
could host their information.

China¡¯s 2009-2011 Implementation Plan for the Recent Priorities of the
Health Care System Reform[1] <#_ftn1> addressed highlighted the need to
improve the situation of ¡°difficult and costly access to health care¡±.
Having a generic TLD for the Chinese speaking communities could address
access to information in the world¡¯s most populous country where it was
estimated that it had a population of 1.37 billion people in 2010[2]<#_ftn2>.
The China Health Profile reported that emerging health threats are emerging
in relation to the environment, workplace and lifestyle[3] <#_ftn3>. It has
been reported that air pollution and water contamination by industrial and
municipal waste as well as overuse of chemical fertilizers and pesticides
cost China over 400,000 lives per year[4] <#_ftn4>.

*¡°The major health threats in underdeveloped areas of rural China include
unsafe water, lack of sanitation, undernutrition, vitamin and mineral
deficiencies, and indoor pollution. Many people, especially in the remote
and poor areas in the western and interior regions, still have consumption
levels below a dollar a day, often without access*

*to clean water, arable land, or adequate health and educational services.
Efforts to move from a fee.for.service to a prepaid system with a
comprehensive benefits package are underway. However, ill.health continues
to be a contributor to poverty, and out.of.pocket medical expenses remain
high.*

*Country Health Information Profile 2010¡±*

* *

I do not expect China¡¯s health problems and access challenges to magically
disappear with the introduction of ¡°.½¡¿µ¡± but  I feel that it is potentially
a way to enable ease of access to information for ordinary end users in
China and to the Chinese diasporas.

There are no doubt many considerations but in this particular context, the
heart of the issue that should be considered is ¡°access¡±. Would the
endorsement of ¡°.½¡¿µ¡± help ordinary end users access information or services?

There is also merit in having a ¡°.½¡¿µ¡± where conditions for purchasing TLDs
are made to comply with conditions and this is a great opportunity to roll
out proper records of "Whois" data and to study the impact of both
technical and policy measures from the beginning should the gTLD be granted.

With kind regards,

Sala

P.S Footnotes/References are provided below.

------------------------------

[1] <#_ftnref1>China National Health Plan in
http://www.wpro.who.int/health_services/china_nationalhealthplan.pdf

[2] <#_ftnref2> Country Health Profile ¨C China in
http://www.wpro.who.int/countries/chn/5CHNpro2011_finaldraft.pdf

[3] <#_ftnref3> ibid

[4] <#_ftnref4> China Statistical Yearbook 2010. National Bureau of
Statistics of China. http://www.stats.gov.cn/tjsj/ndsj/2010/indexeh.htm as
quoted in http://www.wpro.who.int/countries/chn/5CHNpro2011_finaldraft.pdf

 Kind Regards,
Sala