[APAC-Discuss] about .jiankang (.健康) and the proposed objection from ALAC

Edmon edmon at isoc.hk
Fri Mar 1 10:16:04 UTC 2013

Thanks Richard for supporting the thinking from a Chinese speaker perspective.

Rinalia,

I understand your starting point of inquiry, which I alluded to as well, but I think the key question is whether it would cause the confusion against the industry as identified and whether the objection grounds are met.  I can see the arguments for “.health” much more than for “.建康”, which seems to be borrowed over from the ASCII objections.

Again, case in point is that “WHO” which is named “世界卫生组织” does not even use the phrase “健康” in their name, but “卫生” instead (unlike the word “health” which is used in WHO).  Furthermore, if you take the argument in the direction that anything to do with the healthcare realm is within their remit, then the question is what about the other strings like “.medical” or “.doctor”, etc.  Why have they not lodged objections against those as well?...

Anyway, I will now need to make a declaration of interest since besides reaching out to us for help, unfortunately (or fortunately) the applicant has now also suggested we work together more closely (in this and other TLDs they have applied for).  Therefore I will need to declare my potential interest and in fact will not further add to this discussion.

Edmon