[APAC-Discuss] about .jiankang (.健康) and the proposed objection from ALAC

Edmon edmon at isoc.hk
Fri Mar 1 02:53:09 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

The applicant for ".健康" reached out to us to explain his application and the materials At-Large has prepared.

It seems that he is quite right in pointing out that the direction for ".健康" which is much more towards "wellness" and marked as "healthy" in their application, is quite distinct from WHO (World Health Organization)'s objection against the other ASCII ".health" applications.

For one, WHO itself is translated into "世界卫生组织" (http://www.who.int/zh/index.html -- "world" -> "世界"; "health" -> "卫生"; organization "组织"  for those who do not read Chinese, you may at least be able to appreciate that neither characters used for "health" -> "卫生" is the same as what the applicant string "健康" uses)

Of course some interpretations of "健康" may have meanings related to healthiness, however, it is seldom used in the direction for which WHO seems to be most concerned about.  Which may relate much more to "卫生", "医疗" (medical), etc.

Anyway, I think we should consider, from APRALO, to separate out the ".健康" application from the other objections to ".health" and not recommend the objection to be filed for ".健康" from ALAC.

Edmon