[APAC-Discuss] [WHOIS-WG] Beijing and Policy Discussion - and Verisign

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 17:21:34 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Holly Raiche <h.raiche at internode.on.net>wrote:

> Arguably, since this is only about Verisign's agreement in relation to the
> .net registry, all is not lost since, arguably, the registries handling
> .net domain names for Verisign are covered by the RAA (as opposed to the
> ICANN-Verisign contract  on .net) so the Whois data held should be accurate
> as required under the RAA ( but then we have already drawn attention to the
> deficiencies in that contract - specifically clause 3.7.8)

Looks like like a very legalistic corporate response to the changing face
of ICANN Compliance; "we will do only what we are contractually obliged"...
OK, makes sense.  Put the onus on ICANN to get the contracts right then!

......following the logic and since .net is a "thin" registry, I think you
meant to say registrars here, no?

- Carlton