[APAC-Discuss] Beijing meeting - your input

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 16:16:56 UTC 2013

Dear Holly,

The issue I am pointing out is clear from your response. These are more
broad debates well suited for discussions at IGF, G8, G77, D8, SAARC, Arab
League, EU, CoE, African Union, Eurodig, Arab IGF, Pacific IGF, African
OECD, APrIGF, NATO, and all those other settings and multilateral or
regional treaty organizations.

ICANN is not a multilateral treaty organization and it has a GAC that ALAC
can directly talk about on these issues through a joint meeting and you
will be able to gauge how much people at ICANN are concerned or bothered
about it.

WCIT will be well discussed during the APrIGF and that's where it will have
an impact. If you do desire, a 45 minute session could be dedicated to
which a least bothered gathering will just listen to one or two people that
had nothing to do with WCIT or their countries did not even sign the ITRs.

My country did not even attend the WCIT ITRs or the plenipotentiary and on
the other hand ICANN was invited by ITU to work more closely together. We
have to be realistic about issues. ICANN has constituted a Middle East
strategy group send f which I am a member from Pakistan from civil society,
that will have some advice for ICANN and is an important issue. The access
to Internet and connectivity is constantly under threat in South Asia.
These are issues for South Asian countries and not WCITs. When I look at
ALAC rationale, our objectives to be discussed at ICANN are very different
from broader policy issues that are relevant to spaces like IGF or APrIGFs.
The legitimacy of CS and CS based technical community in ICANN needs to be
strengthened beyond ISOC chapter interests into the broader issues based
around ICANN transparency, accountability and affirmation of commitments
with respect to broader public and inclusive participation of RALO member
ALSes. Its the RALO members we serve and they should identify the issues
and not us imposing our version of common interests and issues.

WCIT is no more a real issue for ALAC only but more of an issue to have a
joint discussion between all ICANN constituencies with GAC and ICANN board.
ICANN has the US delegation to ITU already on its side. Let's still try to
be realistic.

Fouad Bajwa