[APAC-Discuss] Beijing meeting - your input

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Jan 10 05:29:04 UTC 2013

(not sending this to apralo-beijing-oc at atlarge-lists.icann.org as I'm
not a member.)

Good proposal, however, I wouldn't discuss WCIT.  It's over, there
will be implications, but they will be hard to divine and will involve
a lot of guesswork.  Not sure of the value.

More relevant is the next ITU process, WTPF (World Telecommunication
Policy Forum <http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Pages/default.aspx>)  The
theme of the meeting is "International Internet-related public policy
matters".  It will be held May 14-16, so there is a chance to
influence people attending (ICANN will for sure, as will APNIC, many
of the ccTLDs, ISOC etc.)

WTPF will "discuss all Internet-related public policy issues raised in
Resolutions 101, 102 and 133 (Rev. Guadalajara, 2010)"

Resolution 101 Internet Protocol-based networks
Resolution 102 ITU's role with regard to international public policy
issues pertaining to the Internet and the management of Internet
resources, including domain names and addresses
Resolution 133 Role of administrations of Member States in the
management of internationalized (multilingual) domain names

each attached.

Having IDNs on the WTPF agenda makes it even more relevant (agneda item 3.)

There will be carry-over from WCIT (expect the resolution on Internet
particularly) to WTPF.

People to invite: APNIC (Paul Wilson, Pablo Hinojosa) and ISOC (Raj
Singh, Constance Bommelaer, Markus Kummer).  Look around for
government reps:  Australia takes regional leadership as does Japan.
China and India will have opinions.

Best,

Adam