[APAC-Discuss] [Asia-Pacific-chapters] Happy Lunar New Year!!

Winthrop Yu w.yu at gmx.net
Sat Feb 9 05:51:02 UTC 2013

   Kyong Hi, Hwat Tsai, from the Philippines!

   Here in the Philippines our Dept. of Science and Technology's ICT Office
(ICTO) and our regulator the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) held a
post-WCIT stakeholder consultation yesterday, Friday 08 Feb.  This stakeholder
consultation was attended by nearly 50 people representing roughly 2 dozen other
sectors/orgs.  (I say "other sectors/orgs" as ISOC-PH and the Infocoms
Technology Associaton of the Philippines/ICTAP have been active participants in
the Philippine ICTO-NTC Consultative Working Group on WCIT since late September
last year.

   The consultation reviewed the Final Acts emerging from WCIT-12, with the
various ITR provisions divided into roughly 5 areas of concern:

   1.  Operating Agencies (Scope) -- ref. Art. 1.1 abis and also Res Plen/3 --
       That the ITU ITRs apply only to NTC-recognized public correspondence
       operating agencies and then only to their traditional PSTN services.

   2.  Technical Networks (Scope) -- ref. Art 3.5 and Res Plen/3 --
       That the ITU ITRs apply only within its existing scope of basic
telecommunications infrastructure.

   3.  Security and Content (Scope) -- ref. Art. 5A and Art. 5B --
       That the ITU ITRs do not apply to non-technical security or content.

   4.  Accounting and Settlements (Scope) -- ref. Art. 6, Appendix 1 and Res
Plen/5 --
       That the ITU ITRs shall not restrict consensual, free market arrangements.

   5.  ITU-T (Recommendations) -- ref. Art 1.4, Art. 8.2, Art. 8.3, Art. 9.2 --
       That ITU-T recommendations are only recommendatory.

   While this process is continuing (involving a wider base of stakeholders),
there was general consensus that IF the Philippines should ever accede to the
WCIT-12 Final Acts at some time in the future, that clarifications and
reservations on the above areas of concern should be made.  There is as yet no
clear indication as to whether the Philippines should or should not accede to
the WCIT-12 ITRs.  There was some consensus that the Philippines should continue
to carefully consider the question of accession (through the multi-stakeholder
process).  There was one representative who advocated making the necessary
reservations and acceding to the ITRs ASAP.

   ICTO-NTC will be convening a follow-up consultation.  In the meantime, ICTO
has provided an email address for further inputs.  ICTO-NTC will also be
convening a strategy meeting of its Consultative Working Group by the end of the
month.

   Just to note that the foregoing is my personal appreciation of yesterday's
consultation meeting.  It does not reflect the views of the ICTO-NTC CWG on
WCIT, nor is it intended as a detailed, comprehensive report.

All the Best,

WYn