[APAC-Discuss] [IDN-WG] Draft Statement on TMCH and Variants

JJS jjs.global at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 08:51:09 UTC 2013

*Dear Hong,*
*
*I'll let those like yourself who put in all the hard work, to reply more
specifically to the points you raised. Just 2 quick remarks:*
*
*
*- "*I don't assume LGR needs to be addressed here." *Well, during one of
the sessions with the presence of an expert (he was presented to us as the
leading authority on this question), we were given an explanation on why
and how the LGR must be fully taken into account in any proposal about IDN
variants. That's why we thought it necessary to include the point about LGR
in the revisions which Rinalia was kind enough to take care of, based upon
your very valuable initial draft.*
*
*
*- "*The community needs hope not more staffing." *I'm sure our community
agrees with you. However, in a structure like ICANN, hope alone does not
always achieve the results we expect. Why did we specifically mention
staffing? Because in the course of meetings, it became apparent that in the
process leading to the acceptance and introduction of IDN variants, there
are gaps, specifically regarding personnel having the required technical
capacity, but also a sufficient level of understanding of linguistic
constraints and user expectations.*
*
*
*With best wishes,*