[APAC-Discuss] [IDN-WG] [At-Large] Draft Recommendations Overall Policy for the Selection of IDN ccTLD Strings PC

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 03:17:49 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Please find below a draft statement on the IDNccTLD String selection.  The
statement is meant to be short, commends the work and addresses the
variants issue.  Comments for fine tuning or addressing gaps are welcome.

Best regards,

Rinalia

*
*

*
*

*DRAFT *

*ALAC Statement on the Draft IDN ccTLD String Selection Criteria,
Requirements and Processes Policy Recommendations*

The At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) commends the International Domain
Names (IDN) country code Policy Development Process Working Group 1 for the
comprehensiveness of its draft policy recommendations on the IDN ccTLD
String Selection Criteria, Requirements and Processes for territories
listed in the ISO 3166-1 list.  We note that the recommendations are based
on the previous work of the IDNC Working Group and we are pleased to see
that the recommendations reflect the learning drawn from the implementation
of the IDNccTLD Fast Track Process over the past few years.

We wish to reiterate the significance and importance of IDNs, including IDN
Top Level Domains (TLDs) at both the generic and country code levels.  We
believe that IDNs are crucial for enhancing diversity and multilingualism
on the Internet.

We observe that the draft recommendations do not address the issue of
variant TLDs and instead contain a placeholder in Section J, which points
out that issues pertaining to the management of such TLDs are still being
discussed in the ICANN community and will be added later.

We believe that the draft recommendations should indicate that the issue of
variants is urgent and need to be addressed in a timely manner.  Concurrently,
the draft recommendations should also affirm that the outcomes of the
variants discussion pertaining to the Label Generation Ruleset (LGR) for
the Root Zone would be binding and applicable to all TLDs (including
ccTLDs), given that the overarching principle of the LGR process is the
security and stability of the Root Zone, which is shared by all Internet
users.

END