[APAC-Discuss] Draft Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement on IP

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 20:47:13 UTC 2012

The TPP will be worse than the SOPA.

Add this to the EFF link:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/27/pacific-free-trade-deal*
***

** **

**
http://www.alternet.org/story/156059/trans-pacific_partnership%3A_under_cover_of_darkness%2C_a_corporate_coup_is_underway

This was sent to me by one of the members of the ALS that I am a part of.
Pay particular attention to the "NAFTA" on steroids bit. What is also
interesting is the news that Russia has just signed an MoU with the US
strengthening greater partnership, notwithstanding the support that it got
from the US in joining the WTO, You can imagine that if Russia is persuaded
to join the TPP then the likelihood that they will receive the relevant
traction to widen the circle of the TPP Party/Parade will definitely cause
the concerns that was raised by the EFF that was shared to us by Carlton,
see:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/08/tpp-creates-liabilities-isps-and-put-your-rights-risk
be a reality in the not too distant future. This means ISP liabilities
amongst a host of other things.

On another note, Mr Wu Hongbo is the new Under Secretary General for the
United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA), see:
http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/usg/index.shtml

For developing countries, the concept of "free trade" may sound lucrative
but the reality is that it only disadvantages one (the loser). There is no
such thing as a free lunch. To see why this is relevant to our discussions,
I recommend visiting the link that Carlton shared earlier.

I find the US position on this to be schizophrenic because on one end they
are proclaiming an open and free internet and taking extraordinary measures
to run miles away from any Treaty negotiations (please note that I am not
for nor against Treaties, merely thinking critically about the issues) and
yet they are going to extraordinary lengths to go around the world by
sending their highest political officer to gain momentum for the TPP.

It brings to mind that nations at the end of the day are about interests
and "as long as it suits them". I will also hasten to add that there are
many citizens in the US who are also wanting greater transparency around
the TPP negotiations as it is likely to impact the architecture of the
Internet and the rules of the game.

Kind Regards,

Sala

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels at gmail.com