[APAC-Discuss] [IDN-WG] [At-Large] Draft Recommendations Overall Policy for the Selection of IDN ccTLD Strings PC

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:35:23 UTC 2012

Hi, this is the paragraph I promise to draft to supplement our
Statement. Any revision or comment is heartily welcome.

Hong

_______________________

We note that confusing similarity of IDN ccTLD strings is assessed
according to the appearance of the selected string sufficiently close
to one or more other strings so that it is probable that a reasonable
Internet user "who is unfamiliar with the script would perceive the
strings to be the same or confuse one for the other", although
"linguistic, technical, and visual perception factors" will be taken
into consideration.

Notwithstanding the merit and rational of such assessment criterion,
we concern that the assessment primarily based on appearance confusion
of the strings deemed by the users unfamiliar with the script may not
be consistent with the nature and purpose of IDN ccTLDs that is
fundamentally put into use for the benefit of the local IDN users in
pertinent ccTLD territories. Without sufficient linguistic factor
being taken into account, some unreasonable results may occur. For
example, an IDN ccTLD that is assessed as not confusingly similar by
the user "who is unfamiliar with the script" may well be deemed
confusingly similar by the local IDN users; vice verse.

We do hope this issue could be addressed in the policy making process
and more consultation with the IDN communities in the ccTLD
territories could be done.

the assessment of confusing similarity depends on amongst other things

 in developing the method and criteria.