[APAC-Discuss] Beijing APRALO Showcase

Edmon Chung edmon at isoc.hk
Tue Nov 13 08:14:56 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

Prompted by a short chat with Rinalia and following from our discussion in Toronto... would like to get the discussion about what we should do in Beijing started.

1. Special Showcase Event
As brought up in Toronto, and with Hong Xue's help, we would like to explore the possibility of having the APRALO showcase event together with the Welcome Reception (on the Monday late afternoon/early evening).  I can probably suggest for DotAsia to help with some sponsorship for this as well :-)

This will not only ensure more participation and reduce conflict in schedules, but also allow us to make the whole event more exciting.  We also discussed the interest to avoid boring speeches, so we should discuss how perhaps we can "showcase" the work of different ALSes and also of APRALO during the event. Perhaps we can produce a short video (just to get the ideas started)...

2. Leveraging Fellowship program
Instead of daily early morning "capacity building" sessions, we can leverage the fellowship program and send all ALS representatives (especially those who have not participated at ICANN as much) to the fellowship sessions (which are held early morning).

3. Multi-stakeholder Policy discussions/roundtables
With the "capacity building" sessions taken care of by the fellowship program, the idea is to hold more intensive policy discussion sessions.  With the benefit of having all the ALSes from AP there the idea is to further take the opportunity to invite other stakeholders, including government representatives, registries (applicants), registrars, intellectual property rights experts, ISPs and other NGOs in the region to join in a multi-stakeholder dialogue with a goal towards potentially producing a sort of communique at the end of the meeting to establish some views on various policies and issues.

4. APRALO Pin / Badge Decoration / ...
We also talked about producing a pin or badge decoration or something that can be worn (name tag strap?) by  APRALO...

Of course before all of these, we need to figure out the type of budget that we have, and potential additional sponsorship we can raise...

Edmon