[APAC-Discuss] Brief Prague report and next APRALO meeting

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:40:07 UTC 2012

Thank you, Holly, for the excellent highlights!

Allow me to me add a few things and draw APRALO's attention to the
following important developments from the Prague meeting:

*(1) ICANN 2013-2016 Strategic Development Plan*
- The planning process has started and the strategic development timeline
has been published.  The ALAC will be represented in the SO/AC Strategic
Planning Working Group and consultations with the public via the public
forum as well as with the Supporting Organizations (SO) and Advisory
Committees (AC) will commence in August.  Feedback on the draft Strategic
Plan will be presented at the Toronto ICANN45 meeting in October 2012.  The
next update will be made at the Beijing ICANN46 meeting in April 2013.
*
(2) ICANN46 Meeting in Beijing (7-12 April 2013) *
YES!  We will be having a regional summit in Beijing next year!  Time to
put on the planning cap folks and initiate discussions on what we would
like to see happen in Beijing to strengthen APRALO's capacity as a policy
community.

*(3) Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) Prioritization in the new gTLD
Program*
In Prague during the Public Forum, ALAC members expressed concern at the
very small number of IDN TLD applications in the new gTLD Program.  Our IDN
Working Group will be working on a statement for ALAC to urge the ICANN
Board to prioritize IDNS.
- If you are interested in the IDN issue and would like to join our IDN
Working Group, please let me or our At Large ICANN staff know.
- If you are interested in contributing your ideas on making the case for
IDN prioritization in the upcoming statement (without joining the Working
Group), you can do so by:
a) commenting on the WIKI space when the draft statement is posted; or
b) emailing me directly.
Our target for getting the statement ready is July 11, so please act now.

Best regards,

Rinalia Abdul Rahim
ALAC Member