[APAC-Discuss] Brief Prague report and next APRALO meeting

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Thu Jul 5 01:02:03 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone

First, highlights from the Prague ICANN meeting (see <http://prague44.icann.org/>)

First, we met the new CEO Fadi Chehade who takes over as CEO (from Rob Beckstrom) on 1 October. He brings a very mixed background including Coptic Christian Egyptian parents who migrated to Lebanon (until the civil war there, when they moved to Damascus), his migration to the US, earning money by, for 7 months, peeling onions in a restaurant, getting a scholarship, then life at Bell Labs.  In short, he brings a wider world view, and a real eagerness to know and understand ICANN - and listen to everyone.  From the conversations I had, everyone who heard his speech was impressed. (his speech is on the website)

The new gTLDs were also very much in discussion (see <http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/new-gtld>) For those who have followed the process, the list of all the applicants was released, the  'batching' of consideration of the applicants was discussed (and criticised by some) and the decision to allocate those in the first 'batch' of applicants by way of 'digital archery' was rescinded - to the applause of some and criticism of others

The Whois Final report and accompanying documents, including technical requirements and survey on privacy/proxy reveal and relay survey are out for public comment - see <http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment>

The negotiations between ICANN and the Registrars on the RAA were also a subject of discussion and update.  See <http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-7-04jun12-en.htm>.  ICANN is seeking public input particularly on three issues: Whois verification and retention, retention of Whois data, and methods for enforcement of the new RAA on all registrars

Finally, ALAC has developed a White Paper on its Future Challenges, and is seeking input.  See <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Future+Challenges+WG+-+R3+White+Paper> Pleae have a read and provide feedback.

Next, at Prague, Sala, Rinalia and I thought it would be a good idea if we all took time out to take a broader view of APRALO - to reaffirm what our objectives and priorities are.  We represent a HUGE area - really four areas - the Middle East, SE Asia, Asia and the Pacific Islands.  How best can we do that? The three of us came up with a starting list - and welcome discussion if you all are happy to do so

Holly

Core Objectives and Mandate

1.     Contribution of input from the Asian Australasian Pacific Region (“Region”) into the ICANN Policy Processes;

2.     Monitoring the development of technical policies within ICANN that affects the Region;

3.     Building Capacity within the Region.

Roles and Responsibilities of the RALO

1.     Attendance or Apologies

2.     Making sure that the At Large Structures are informed;

3.     Reporting of issues from the various constituency and advisory committees to the RALO;

4.     Assigning tasks;

5.     Managing the Calendar and communicating;

6.     Creating working groups on various Policy issues and submitting it to the Region;

7.     Internal Stakeholder Relations

8.     External Stakeholder Relations

9.     Regional Policy Newsletter