[APAC-Discuss] pacific propsoal for a spearate Small Island Grouping

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 02:51:13 UTC 2011

I would like to share here what Cheryl shared during the meeting.
There is a certain amount of overhead agreement required to go this
way. If we can agree to making sub-groups under APRALO for the SIDS
and the Arab Region AR, under APRALO facilitate them to appoint their
structure/leadership/operating articles, there would be speed for this
under ALAC and of course APRALO instead of putting this through a much
longer process at the ICANN level. This is sort of a short-cut
suggestion.

Within this proposal suggestion that will be an APRALO proposal to
ALAC and should ALAC approve it, APRALO can appoint two sub-regions
APRALO-SIDS and APRALO-AR. Both the sub-groups can have then their own
leadership out of which the Chair or President or Director (any form
they choose to be suitable for them) will be present in APRALO to have
issues and processes moved up, presented and completed. The sub-groups
can have their own secretariats and participate with the ALAC RALO
Secretariats' without the need to go through APRALO for this process.
SIDS and AR can also have their showcases under APRALO. APRALO within
this model would give equal weight to concerns and issues from these
sub-regions and move them forward to ALAC.

I put a lot of thought into this and this proposal seems to be very
workable without the need to shake anything upwards. It also reduces
the time required to get such an idea moving forward. However, I have
not been able to draw out how APRALO's budget would be affected this
way because we will need budget for getting atleast 4 new members to
ICANN meetings etc. This is a touchy issue and I don't have the
experience to deal with this at this point in time and will require
some expert guidance in the event the above proposal is worth a
consideration.

-- Fouad

Regards.