[APAC-Discuss] Criteria for ALS Admission to RALO

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:06:22 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues:
The discussion here is of great interest to me not only from the perspective
of an ALAC member who will vote to ratify the decision of a RALO but from my
personal perspective as a member in good standing of the At-Large community.

I share Darlene's perspective: It is not my position that I tell APRALO how
to do its business.  But it would  be ill-advised if financial data for an
ALS becomes part of the criteria for admission to the RALO club.

I also doubt whether it is useful to encourage auditing of individual
members of an ALS' membership.  And while I can accept that in RALOS where
the rules allows an individual membership, some minimum due diligence might
be appropriate, there is no compelling rationale that says a criterion that
examines funding/net worth position is necessary or, even desirable.

My personal view is that the financial question is intrusive and altogether
unnecessary for the purpose At-Large Structures are designed.

What I care about is what they tell me. And the rationality of that can be
judged by context as well as objective.

ALS and individuals under the At-Large umbrella are supposed to provide
perspectives on names and numbers policy from the edge. Any particular
perspective form an ALS is filtered thru several layers before it becomes
one of many that may eventually contribute to the formulation of a policy
advice statement from the ALAC to the ICANN Board.

Yes, funding and its sources or a person's netw worth may influence the
perspective on a given matter from an ALS or individual. But that would not,
in itself, render such a perspective  illegitimate.  And I am sure with the
many sieves that will intervene before it gets to ALAC, there are several
opportunities, in due course, to disqualify irrational or exuberant views
which lack broad support.

Best,
Carlton Samuels