[APAC-Discuss] [ALAC-Internal] ALS Application: Netmission.ASIA

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 08:52:28 UTC 2011

Hi Charles,

Its an interesting discussion indeed but it has its ramifications are
unforeseen. The discussion would also step up to question the existing
membership efforts of any RALO. It also steps into an invasion of
privacy unless it is explicitly mentioned that are all the members of
the group willing to undergo a due-diligence and that the types and
procedures will have to be publicly shared.

I have a feeling of where Siva is coming for but this discussion is a
major concern for me because of my interest in Outreach and In-reach
activities. Where we are unable to achieve considerable participation
by ALSs' across the board, we will create another process of
intimidation.

On diversity, there is a certain element of decision at the ALS level
that interplays before it actually applies for membership of ALAC and
any RALO. I don't think the Internet or World Wide Web or the services
that run on the network at any point asked its users what were their
qualifications before they were accessed by users. Yes, age may be a
concern. The decision to select an ALS is an ALAC process and I am
sure that since this message is being circulated on ALAC internal
list, everyone is reading it.

I still feel it will add process overhead, privacy concerns, only
serve a certain limited purpose, intimidate membership prospects and
decrease interest.

-- Fouad