[APAC-Discuss] APRALO Poll on At-Large Board Director Candidates

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 01:24:54 UTC 2010

Dear Mr. Per Darnell,

Thanks for letting us know your problem. Please be sure that we equally
cherish the participation of each ALS of APRALO.

With respect to your problem, I've two observations:

a) Please see the following announcement by the Staff (Annex One ). The poll
started on November 18 and did not end until 10:00 UTC on Wednesday, 24
November 2010, which should be 12:00am of November 25 in your local time.
Your ALS should have sufficient time to participate the poll. Please kindly
refer to the list of the registered representatives of each ALSes.

Your representative, Mr.Stafford Guest, should have received both the
announcement and voting credential on November 18. We would be very grateful
if we could have received his notification of the change of voting member
the moment he received the announcement.

If you would like to change the "voting member" on November 22, when the
poll system was about to close, I'm afraid I would be a bit tight for the
Staff to verify the credential and re-sent the voting information to you,
even if your request to change the voting member had been sent to the Staff
before the close the poll. And in your case, unfortunately the Staff did not
receive your request before the end of the poll.

I also received an email from Mr. J William Semich and he kindly told us
that " I believe this was a technical problem on the part of IUSN's mail
servers and not on the part of the ICANN staff, but there is no way for us
to know for certain."

In any case, I'm sorry for your not receiving the voting information
necessary for you to participate.

b) After receiving the emails from you and Mr. J William Semich, I
immediately wrote back and confirmed that "Yours and Per's emails have been
received and your ALS's preferred candidate's name indicated by Per's email
is clearly recorded. But the poll is close and cannot reopen." Please refer
to Annex Two. I obviously did not say "it was too late to count" your vote.
I firmly believe that your ALS is as important as all others, particularly
those that had participated in the poll.

I'm sure we are making genuine efforts to build our community for every
success, rather than growing frustration out of the system.

Sincerely yours

Hong Xue

Annex One

fromICANN At-Large Staff <staff at atlarge.icann.org> toAPRALO <
apac-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
dateThu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:41 PM subject[APAC-Discuss] NOW OPEN: APRALO Poll
on At-Large Board Director Candidates 2010 mailing list
apac-discuss.atlarge-lists.icann.org Filter messages from this mailing list
mailed-byatlarge-lists.icann.org unsubscribeUnsubscribe from this
mailing-list
hide details Nov 18 (9 days ago)

Dear All,

The Chair of APRALO, Prof. Hong Xue, requested the At-Large Staff to start
an online poll to guide the Chair to participate in ALAC and RALO Chairs¹
voting for selection among the candidates for the At-Large Board Director
position.

All authorized participants - that being the representatives of the APRALO
ALSes  - received their polling credentials by mail a couple of minutes ago.
The list of ALS representatives is attached below.

If you did not receive the message due to spam filtering or for some other
technical reason, you may access the poll at this URL and login with your
username and password:
https://www.bigpulse.com/37552

Detailed information about the candidates is available under:
https://community.icann.org/display/DirCan/At-Large+Director+Candidate-Commu
nity+Forum+-+11.10<https://community.icann.org/display/DirCan/At-Large+Director+Candidate-Community+Forum+-+11.10>

********
The question to be put will be the following:

Please indicate your preference for each of the candidates for the At-Large
Board Director.

Your preference is indicated by clicking on the box to the left of each
name. The order of preference is from most preferred (your first click), to
your lowest preference (the last clicked). You must indicate a preference
for each candidate for your vote to be valid.

With possible answers:
Sébastien Bachollet
Pierre Dandjinou
Alan Greenberg

********

The vote will use the Single Transferable Vote (STV) voting method and close
at 10:00 UTC on Wednesday, 24 November 2010. For details on STV voting,
please go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote.

This is an anonymous vote. It will not be possible to see live results and
who has voted so far.

--
Regards,

Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger, Seth Greene, Gisella Gruber-White,
Marilyn Vernon, Kristina Nordström
ICANN At-Large Staff

email: staff[at]atlarge.icann.org
website: www.atlarge.icann.org <http://www.atlarge.icann.org>

Eligible APRALO voters (total 19):

Arab Knowledge Management Society
Mahmoud Lattoufi

At Large at China
Mengxuan Wu

Chinese Domain Name Users Alliance
Prof. Hong Xue

Emirates Internet Group
Khalid Bin Thani

Hong Kong Internet Forum
Paul Chow

Information Policy Analytical Center
Yashar Hajiyev

Internet Users Network
Izumi Aizu Chief

Internet Users Society Niue
Stafford Guest

ISOC Australia
Cheryl Langdon-Orr

ISOC Chapter India Chennai
Sivasubramanian Muthusamy

ISOC HK
Edmon Chung

ISOC NZ
Keith Davidson

ISOC Taiwan Chapter
Chung Laung Liu

National Information Infrastructure Enterprise Promotion Association
Sophie Liang

Open Standards and Internet Association
Hyun-kook Kahng

Pacific Islands Chapter fo the Internet Society
William (Will) Tibben

Society Vasudhay Kutumbhkum - India
Nimrol Agarwal

Internet Society Pakistan Chapter
Qasim Y. Khan

Pakistan ICT Policy Monitor
Fouad Riaz Bajwa

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Per Darnell <per at iusn.org> wrote:

> Just for the record I would like to give voice to my frustration. On
> November 22 we asked to change the voting member for IUSN Foundation to
> myself, and not until Friday, November 26, did I get the links and login
> to do the poll. It was then closed! What had happened I don't know as of
> yet, but the frustrating thing about all this is that my vote would have
> changed the outcome of the poll, since I was voting for Alan Greenberg.
> I have sent an email asking to count my vote even if it was too late, to
> chairman Hong, but of course she replied that it was too late to count
> my vote.
> Knowing it is nothing to be done, I just have to get the frustration out
> of my system.
>
> Per Darnell
> President
> IUSN Foundation

Annex Two

fromHong Xue <hongxueipr at gmail.com>toJ William Semich <bsemich at mac.com>
ccMatthias Langenegger <matthias.langenegger at icann.org>,
per at iusn.org
dateSat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:31 AMsubjectRe: [APAC-Discuss] RESULT: APRALO
Poll on At-Large Board Director Candidatesmailed-bygmail.com
hide details 9:31 AM (23 hours ago)

Dear Bill,

Yours and Per's emails have been received and your ALS's preferred
candidate's name indicated by Per's email is clearly recorded. But the poll
is close and cannot reopen.

Regards

Hong Xue