[ALAC] Summary Report for GNSO Council 6 March 2024 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 15:55:23 UTC 2024

Dear all,

Here is my report of the GNSO Council's 6 Mar 2024 meeting. It's
'relatively' short compared to the actual agenda because I have parsed out
just the key matters of interest to us. You can also read this report
posted at the ALAC Liaison to the GNSO workspace
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021>,
or using the links included below.

*Special Summary Report of 6 Mar 2024 Meeting to ALAC
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Mar2024-SumRep_Mar2024>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Mar 2024
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Mar2024-MOI_Mar2024>
and/or
from GNSO Council Mar 2024 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Mar2024-Meet_Mar2024>
.

*1. Consent Agenda*

   - Council resolved <https://community.icann.org/x/9IAvEQ> to adopt the
   Communications Small Team Final Report
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/11vDvAwS9H94gCxQeMMtULLlMUJsEuBtEszEN_RAe1W0/edit>
   .

*2. DNS Abuse*

   - GNSO - GAC Bilateral agenda, where GNSO was asked on the status of the
   GNSO Council Small Team on DNS Abuse. We were able to clarify that the
   Small Team is not wound up but merely kept in abeyance until such time that
   Council had access to useful data which could inform a decision on whether
   gaps exists and how might those gaps be addressed.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*To liaise with CPH on a DNS Abuse mitigation
outreach opportunity with At-Large.

*3. Next Round of New gTLD*

   - Council was informed that the Council Small Team Plus on Pending
   Subsequent Pending (SubPro) Recommendations (Small Team Plus) had conducted
   its Community Consultation during ICANN79 as planned, to socialize the
   Small Team Plus's work on the supplemental recommendations to address the
   rationale provided by the ICANN Board in declining to approve/adopt 10
   (original) SubPro PDP recommendations covering 6 topics.
   - No comment or objection was received by the Small Team Plus during
   that ICANN79 session, so, the Small Team Plus is now able to refer the
   supplemental recommendations to the Council for approval in Council's April
   2024 meeting.

*4. Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Implementation (PPSAI)*

   - Council acknowledged that the Implementation Review Team tasked with
   implementation of PPSAI recommendations that were adopted by the ICANN
   Board back in 2016, has been reactivated.
   - Question was asked if any or all of those recommendations are still
   fit for purpose given the introduction of GDPR and other newer developments
   since 2016, and whether this IRT might be compelled to try and implement
   outdated recommendations.
   - The conclusion reached was that the IRT should be given the
   opportunity to review those recommendations and state if any one which are
   no longer fit for purpose, so that the right party (eg GNSO Council to take
   remedial steps to perhaps re-conduct a policy development process to update
   those recommendations).
   - This is an example of the need for Topic 2 in the recent Board
   Consultation during ICANN79 Prep Week
   <https://icann79.sched.com/event/1ZV04> with the Community.

*5. General Operations of GNSO/GNSO Council*

Council discussed and/or noted following:

   - Council Engagement with PDP Working Group Chairs - to retain a prep
   week session for this and keep improving the format to meet purpose
   - GNSO Program Management Tools - to review 2 times per year
   - GNSO Chair Election Timeline Announcement
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/proposed-chair-election-timeline-27feb24-en.pdf>
   - Updated Small Team Guidelines
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2024/draft/updated-small-team-guidelines-06mar24-en.pdf>
   - GNSO Council Aspirational Statement