[ALAC] Summary Report for GNSO Council 18 Jan 2024 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 05:18:58 UTC 2024

Dear all,

In advance of the ALAC Monthly meeting on 23 Jan, here is my written
summary report for the GNSO Council's 18 Jan meeting. You can also read
this report posted at the ALAC Liaison to the GNSO workspace
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021>
, or using the links included below.

I would be happy to take questions by email, if not during the ALAC's 23
Jan call.

*Special Summary Report of 18 Jan 2024 Meeting to ALAC
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jan2024-SumRep_Jan2024>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Jan 2024
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jan2024-MOI_Jan2024>
and/or
from GNSO Council Jan 2024 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jan2024-Meet_Jan2024>
.

*1. Consent Agenda*

   - Council resolved <https://community.icann.org/x/_IAvEQ> to approve
   both the Recommendations Report for the GGP on Applicant Support
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/draft/ggp-applicant-support-08jan24-en.pdf>
and
   the Recommendations Report for the EPDP on Internationalized Domain
   Names (IDNs)
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2024/draft/epdp-idns-report-18jan24-en.pdf>
for
   transmission to the ICANN Board. Correspondence to the Board
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2024/correspondence/council-to-board-ops-18jan24-en.pdf>
completed
   on 18 Jan.

*2. SubPro Small Team Update on Non-Adopted Recommendations*

   - Supplemental Recommendations on (a) confusingly similar
   singular-plural strings (Recs 23.3 and 23.5) are being refined/finalized;
   and (b) Waiver of RA Spec 11 3(a) & 3(b) for single registrant TLDs (Rec
   9.2) is stable.
   - Work of the Small Team Plus continues on (c) covenant not to sue (Recs
   18.1 and 18.3) tied with (d) challenge/appeal mechanisms (Recs 32.1, 32.2
   and 32.10)
   - Work of the Small Team Plus expected to conclude - in terms of
   Supplemental Recommendations - before ICANN79, in time for the *planned
   community consultation session at ICANN79*. Thereafter, depending on any
   substantial community input received, Council plans to vote on the entire
   package of Supplementation Recommendations covering 10 pending
   recommendations (i.e. 17.2, 22.7, 23.3, 23.5, 9.2, 18.1, 18.3, 32.1, 32.2,
   32.10)  at its April meeting. (For info on the 10 pending
   recommendations, see: slide no. 3 of my SubPro Update #5 to CPWG
   <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=276431585&preview=/276431585/278856359/20231108%20Next%20Round_SubPro%20Update%20%235%20for%20CPWG%208Nov2023.pdf#PDPs-929257560>
on
   8 Nov 2023)

*Action by ALAC Liaison*

- To update ALAC/CPWG on the package of Supplemental Recommendations to be
discussed at ICANN79 (on the Wed).
- To alert ALAC/CPWG on any GNSO session planned for ICANN78 Prep Week to
discuss these Supplemental Recommendations (if any)

*3. Registration Data Accuracy (RDA) & RDA Scoping Team*

   - By way of recap, the RDA Scoping Team was initiated by Council in July
   2021 per the formation instructions
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/registration-data-accuracy-scoping-team-formation-instructions-09jul21-en.pdf>,
   and tasked with considering a number of accuracy-related factors such as
   the current enforcement, reporting, measurement, and overall effectiveness
   of accuracy-related efforts. These considerations are to help inform the
   team’s deliberations and development of recommendations to Council on
   whether any changes are recommended to improve accuracy levels, and, if so,
   how and by whom these changes would need to be developed (for example, if
   changes to existing contractual requirements are recommended, a PDP or
   contractual negotiations may be necessary to effect a change).
   - The Scoping Team completed Assignment #1 (enforcement and reporting)
   and Assignment #2 (measurement of accuracy) and submitted its write up
   <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2022-September/025950.html> to
   Council on 5 September 2022. In its write up, the Scoping Team had
   suggested moving forward with two proposals that would not require access
   to registration data, namely a registrar survey (recommendation #1) and a
   possible registrar audit (recommendation #2) that may help further inform
   the team’s work on assignment #3 (effectiveness) and #4 (impact &
   improvements), while it awaits the outcome of the outreach to the European
   Data Protection Board (EDPB) by ICANN org in relation to proposals that
   would require access to registration data (recommendation #3).
   - However, a number of factors which remain pending to-date have led
   Council to defer further work in this area.
      - At Council's Jun 2023 meeting, Council voted to defer for 6 months,
      consideration of a registrar survey (recommendation #1) and a
      possible registrar audit (recommendation #2) pending resolution of
      recommendation #3 (pausing the work on proposals that require access
      to registration data until there is clarity from ICANN org on if/how it
      anticipates the requesting and processing of registration data to be
      undertaken in the context of measuring accuracy).
      - At Council's Nov 2023 meeting, Council revisited this area of work
      and noted that, barring (i) completion of the Data Processing
      Agreement (DPA), (ii) implementation of the NIS2 directive, or (iii)
      publication of the Inferential Analysis of Maliciously Registered Domains
      (INFERMAL) Study, it may not be the appropriate time to reconvene the
      Accuracy Scoping Team.
      - Given that (i) the DPA is not yet ready (confirmed by ICANN org
      staff) (ii) the NIS2 directive has not yet been implemented, and (iii)
      publication of the Inferential Analysis of Maliciously Registered Domains
      (INFERMAL) Study is still pending (targeted for Sep 2024),
Council declined
      to take further action at this point.

*4. Diacritic Study Request*

   - GNSO Council Leadership is still reviewing a draft request prepared by
   Councilor Mark Datysgeld on the Diacritic Study and will report back to
   Council in due course.
   - As a reminder, this request for a Diacritic Study is concerned with
   how to deal with existing ASCII TLDs which have a version with diacritics
   which are NOT considered as variants of each other accordingly to
   established Label Generation Rules (for eg. quebec and québec).

*Action by ALAC Liaison*

- To alert ALAC/CPWG when the draft request is ready for Council's comment.

*5. Privacy-Proxy Services Accreditation Issues (PPSAI) Implementation*

   - There are Board-approved
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-special-meeting-of-the-icann-board-09-08-2016-en#2.e>
PPSAI
   recommendations which have yet to be implemented as focus has been
   prioritized towards the implementation of the EPDP on Temp Spec Phase 1
   recommendations instead thus far. However ICANN Org's GDS (Global Domains &
   Strategy) is now developing a work plan to actively work on implementing
   these PPSAI recommendations with input from the previous GNSO PDP on PPSAI
   members (by email).
   - Next update will be available at ICANN79; but the work plan will only
   be ready at the end of Q1, 2024.

Thanks for reading/ considering.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO