[ALAC] Summary Report for GNSO Council 15 Feb 2024 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 09:29:02 UTC 2024

Dear all,

Here is my summary report of the GNSO Council's 15 Feb 2024 meeting. It's
'relatively' short compared to the actual agenda because I have parsed out
just the key matters of interest to us. You can also read this report
posted at the ALAC Liaison to the GNSO workspace
<https://community.icann.org/x/mQK7Cg>, or using the links included below.

*Special Summary Report of 15 Feb 2024 Meeting to ALAC
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Feb2024-SumRep_Feb2024>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Feb 2024
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Feb2024-MOI_Feb2024>
and/or
from GNSO Council Feb 2024 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Feb2024-Meet_Feb2024>
.

*1. Consent Agenda*

   - Council confirms Karen Day as Chair and Segunfunmi Olajide as
   Vice-Chair of the GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC) for 2024.
   - Council confirms Mark Datysgeld as the GNSO-Nominated Mentor for the
   2024 ICANN Fellowship Program.

*2. Registration Data Accuracy Scoping Team Recommendations #1 and #2*

   - Council resolved to extend the deferral of consideration of
   recommendations #1 and #2 of the Registration Data Accuracy Scoping
Team write
   up
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2022/correspondence/palage-et-al-to-gnso-council-rda-assignments-et-al-05sep22-en..pdf>
for
   an additional six months, and commits to considering the Scoping Team
   recommendations at an earlier date if DPA negotiations have been completed
   before six months have passed or another significant event, such as the
   implementation of the NIS2 directive or the publication Inferential
   Analysis of Maliciously Registered Domains (INFERMAL) Study, occurs before
   six months have passed.

*3.  Board Non-Adopted Subsequent Procedures (SubPro) Recommendations &
GNSO SubPro Small Team Plus*

   - In March 2023, the ICANN Board approved the majority of the
   recommendations contained in the Final Report on the new gTLD Subsequent
   PDP, but also placed some recommendations into a pending status. The
   Council convened a small team that worked collaboratively with the ICANN
   Board to resolve all pending recommendations. While the majority of the
   pending recommendations were able to be adopted by the ICANN Board,
*recommendations
   across six Topics were not adopted by the ICANN Board.*
   - With the primary task of addressing the pending recommendations now
   complete, the Council has tasked the Small Team Plus with an updated
   assignment form
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yDgWIwKZqKk0WY0q7CS2pf7aD4VupCWV/edit>.
   The Small Team Plus has committed to a work plan
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IhxKi0dvkS-a3ot7w8YG0iFxw4LiZuLz/edit>
   address the recommendations not adopted by the Board. Following that plan,
   the Small Team has completed initiation steps (i.e., developed background
   materials, preliminary Supplemental Recommendation language, and issued a
   call for volunteers for the Small Team Plus). The Small Team Plus has come
   to *preliminary  Supplemental Recommendation language* (i.e., stable
   text) for most of the six Topics.
   - The Small Team Plus (which includes the Board SubPro Caucus co-chairs
   and community subject matter experts/alternates) have now completed its
   immediate task of drafting supplemental recommendation language to address
   all the 10 recommendations not adopted by the Board. For details about
   the Small Team Plus and the draft supplemental recommendation language,
   please refer to this slide presentation
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2024/presentation/subpro-non-adopted-recs-small%20-team-plus-update-15feb24.pdf>
   .
   - Next steps are for the Small Team Plus to present the draft
   supplemental recommendation language to the community for input vide;
      - (1) a session <https://sched.co/1ZUnf> during ICANN79 Prep Week on
      22 Feb;
      - (2) a community consultation session <https://sched.co/1a1Cf> during
      ICANN79 on 6 Mar; and
      - (3) a follow up Small Team Plus meeting <https://sched.co/1a1Ci> during
      ICANN79 on 7 Mar to consider community input received (if any).

*4. Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) Study 2 Report*

   - The NCAP Discussion Group (NCAP DG) is currently seeking input on
its draft
   Study 2 report
   <https://itp.cdn.icann.org/en/files/name-collision/name-collision-analysis-project-study-two-report-draft-17-01-2024-en.pdf>
and
   collisions as outlined in resolution 2017.11.02.30
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-02-11-2017-en#2.a>
and
   reaffirmed in resolution 2021.03.25.13
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-25-03-2021-en#2.b.rationale>
   .
   - Council received an overview of the draft Study 2 report
   <https://itp.cdn.icann.org/en/files/name-collision/name-collision-analysis-project-study-two-report-draft-17-01-2024-en.pdf>,
   which is structured to guide the reader through the methodology and
   significant findings of three pivotal research studies, as well as the
   analysis of the NCAP Discussion Group's extensive work activities. This
   material is what informs the eleven strategic recommendations provided at
   the end of the report.
   - One of the key recommendations is the establishment of a new workflow,
   the Name Collision Risk Assessment Workflow, designed to enhance the
   assessment process of new generic top-level domains (gTLDs). This
   recommendation underscores the NCAP Discussion Group’s belief that name
   collisions should be approached not merely as a technical challenge but as
   a critical risk management issue.

*5. Diacritics Study Request*

   - As a reminder, this request for a Diacritic Study is concerned with
   how to deal with existing ASCII TLDs which have a version with diacritics
   which are NOT considered as variants of each other accordingly to
   established Label Generation Rules (for eg. quebec and québec).
   - Council received an update from GNSO staff that a potential solution
   that may remove the need for a study request altogether is being developed
   and is likely to be ready for Council's consideration soon after ICANN79.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*To alert ALAC/CPWG when the GNSO staff's potential
solution, which proposes to displace the need for Diacritic Study Request,
is ready for Council's consideration.

Thanks for reading / considering.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO