[ALAC] ALAC Chair Nominations 2022

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 18:04:39 UTC 2022

Dear All,

Although my current term as an ALAC Member will continue through the end of
the 2023 AGM, as I have previously announced, having now served four years
in my current position, I will not seek to continue as the Chair of the
ALAC past the 2022 AGM.

Therefore, I would like to announce the timetable for the ALAC Chair
nomination period.

The roster of 2022-2023 ALAC Members is now complete (see: 2022 ALAC and
RALO Elections Workspace
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/2022+ALAC+and+RALO+Elections%2C+Selections+and+Appointments>)
with the exception of the two ALAC NomCom appointments from EU and NA.

The ALAC Rules of Procedure
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Rules+of+Procedure?preview=/2262672/111389695/ALAC%20RoP-Revision_4-Approved-24October2018.pdf>
(RoP)
Article 5.2 states

*"A person nominated to be Chair does not need to be an ALAC Member at the
time of nomination but must have an expectation of being an ALAC Member
after the next ALAC Annual General Meeting...".*The 13 known Members on
next year's ALAC are (in alphabetic order of region and given name):

AF: Sarah Kiden, Dave Kissoondoyal, Raymond Mamattah
AP: Satish Babu, Maureen Hilyard, Navid Bin Rais
EU: Matthias Hudobnik, Joanna Kulesza,
LAC: Carlos Aguirrre, Laura Margolis, Marcelo Rodriguez
NA: Bill Jouris, Jonathan Zuck

*With this message, nominations, including self-nominations, are now being
accepted. In accordance with the ALAC RoP, this Call for Nominations will
remain open for no less than 14 days and will end at 23:59 UTC on Friday, 8
July 2022.*

*ONLY CURRENT *

*ALAC MEMBERS MAY MAKE NOMINATIONS. Nominations must be sent to
the ALAC list. *Messages accepting {or declining nominations] must be sent
to the ALAC list no later than 7 days after the close of nominations by
23:59 UTC on 15 July 2022.

*Please note the specific requirements for the ALAC Chair are noted
in Article 5 of the ALAC ROPs
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Rules+of+Procedure>.*

If there is more than one candidate, there will be an opportunity to talk
to the candidates during a special ALAC Meeting and an election will be
held starting 22 July 2022. The winner must receive votes from the majority
of sitting ALAC Members. The ALAC RoP Section 17.2 details the election
procedure and how to proceed in the case of a variety of unusual conditions.

The full *s*election schedule for the ALAC Chair is outline below:

   - 27 June 2022 -  Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's
   Statement. (*Only current ALAC Members may make nominations. Nominations
   must be sent to the ALAC list.)*
   - 27 June 2022 - 8 July 2022  (23:59 UTC) - Nomination period
   (nominations accepted for 14 calendar days).
   - 15 July 2022 (23:59 UTC) - Nomination acceptance deadline. Messages
   accepting or declining nominations must be sent to the ALAC list no later
   than 7 days after the close of nominations.
   - 22 July - 29 July 2022- Elections (If required, elections will begin
   no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and
   end no later than two weeks after that deadline).  The winner must receive
   votes from the majority of sitting ALAC Members. The ALAC RoP Section
   17.2 <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Rules+of+Procedure>
details
   the election procedure and how to proceed in the case of a variety of
   unusual conditions.
   - 2022 AGM [ ICANN75 ] - The newly elected ALAC Chair shall be seated at
   the 2022 AGM following the close of the Board Meeting on 22 September 2022.

Kind regards,

Maureen Hilyard

Chair of the At-Large Advisory Committee