[ALAC] Fwd: ccNSO Newsletter | May 2021

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:33:06 UTC 2021

Find out the latest about the ccNSO.

ccNSO Newsletter | May 2021

Interview with Barbara Povse | MPC chair

In this newsletter we are featuring an interview with ccNSO Meetings
Programme Committee (MPC) Chair Barbara Povše (.si). Learn more about
Barbara, her involvement in the work of the ccNSO, and what she recommends
ccTLD managers to attend the upcoming ccNSO Sessions, and especially the
pre-ICANN71 ccTLD News Session.
Could you tell us a bit more about your background?

Barbara: "I am a mathematician. I guess this influences the way I see the
world and the way I work. Despite the fact that logic is important to me, I
am not a well-structured person. :)
I started my career with the Academic and Research Network of Slovenia
(ARNES) in 1994, a public institute. Among other things, ARNES is also
responsible for managing the country code TLD for Slovenia, .si. I am head
of the .si registry. I am also chair of the Board of Directors at
the Council of European National Top-Level Domain Registries (CENTR), and
chair of the ccNSO Meetings Programme Committee (MPC). Quite a list, for an
introvert like me!"

What is your motivation for contributing to the work of ICANN and the ccNSO
in particular?

Barbara: "It started gradually. First I became more involved in CENTR, and
then I started to attend ICANN public meetings. But I have to admit: I
struggled. ICANN seemed so complicated and I was reflecting on whether or
not I belonged. I became a working group member of the ccNSO Meetings
Programme Committee, to understand ICANN better. After I while I took on
the role of MPC chair."

You mentioned the ICANN environment was challenging at first. Are you
feeling more comfortable now?

Barbara: "Yes, I do! The country code Name Supporting Organisation is where
I belong. This is where ccTLDs from all over the world meet, share best
practices, and learn from each other. And even small understaffed ccTLDs
like ours benefit from this global cooperation. One of the things that I
appreciated so much, was the pre-pandemic networking. It is a pity we have
not been able to meet in person for such a long time."

Could you tell us a bit more about your role as MPC Chair? What is the most
frustrating part? What do you enjoy most?

Barbara: "I very much like the diversity within the MPC. We are a group of
people from all over the world, with different backgrounds, cultures and
points of view. Together we try to offer a programme that is relevant to
ccTLD managers. There is no "one size fits all", and the MPC is the perfect
example! That being said, my time and resources are limited, and I do not
intend to continue in my role as MPC chair forever. I am hoping a new
generation feels comfortable soon to take over the reins.
When I think about the ccNSO, I do appreciate that the ccNSO never judges.
There is no right or wrong. I am however disappointed about the fact that
within the ICANN environment, ccTLDs seems to be often overlooked. We all
know ccTLDs are governed by local legislation and rules, but that does not
mean that we are completely disconnected from the rest of the world.
Legislative initiatives often impact gTLDs and ccTLDs alike, and efforts to
interfere in that area should not negatively impact ccTLDs. ICANN is a
multi-stakeholder organisation, and ccTLDs play a very important role. A
closer collaboration between ICANN org and the Regional Organisations such
as CENTR when it comes to legislative aspects would benefit all."
The MPC is regularly organizing ccTLD News Sessions: could you tell us a
bit more about those sessions?

Barbara: "It's all about best practice sharing, and learning from each
other. If I am struggling with a certain aspect that impacts my registry,
the ccTLD News Session often offers valuable insights: what approaches did
my colleagues adopt? Is my registry the only one struggling with X or Y?
What are others doing differently, what are the similarities? And why is
that good or bad? The ccTLD News Sessions are the perfect opportunity to
hear the latest news from the global ccTLD community, and to share success
stories. When putting together the programme of the ccTLD News Sessions,
the MPC tries to have a truly global approach, and to make sure voices from
the various regions are being heard."

The ccTLD News Sessions are taking place prior to ICANN71. Why is that? why
are they not part of the public meeting schedule?

Barbara: "With the ICANN public meetings being virtual only, the ccNSO
consulted with the ccTLD community on how to plan for those meetings.
ccTLDs preferred to have a shorted programme, with a limited number of
sessions relevant to ccTLD managers. Organising the ccTLD News Sessions
prior to the start of ICANN71 gives us more flexibility: we can organise
sessions at different times, to address the timezone challenges ccTLD
representatives have. Since people no longer need to travel to remote parts
of the world, it is a perfect opportunity to invite more people to attend
the sessions, even those that typically do not participate in ccNSO
meetings. You do not need to register in advance to attend the ccTLD News
Sessions and they are open to all interested. In case you missed out on
something: recordings become available shortly after the meeting."

Why should ccTLD representatives attend the upcoming ccTLD News Session?

Barbara: "By focusing the 2 upcoming sessions on two very hot topics for
ccTLD managers, the MPC hopes to offer an interesting programme that allows
ccTLDs to hear the latest news from colleagues from all over the globe, and
to share best practices. The MPC is proud that presenters from all
different regions are represented in the ccTLD News Sessions.
On Wednesday, 26 May, the session will focus on the regulatory demands,
related to security, that ccTLDs have to deal with. What are those demands
and how do they impact ccTLD operations?
The session on Thursday, 27 May has DNS Abuse as a main topic. What
categories of DNS Abuse do the ccTLDs identify? Which detection methods do
they use? What type of enforcement methods - if any - did they adopt?"

Anything else you wish to mention?

Barbara: "I strongly encourage ccTLDs to attend the ccTLD News Sessions. If
you cannot attend live, listen to the recordings. Let us know if you have
suggestions on what to focus on next. Also, have a look at the ccNSO
programme at ICANN71 on the ccNSO website, keep an eye out for the
announcements by the ccNSO Secretariat, and join us at ICANN71!
Join the Pre-ICANN71 ccTLD News Sessions
There are 2 options to participate. Each of the sessions will have a 90
minute duration, and a separate agenda. Recordings will be posted here
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxSgfQfyZOeZn3jvDSMVVJpXhpLjenUamfMO178fpsVP2CuMSsixWZxRdje0YeTc2FnzEmLzlTFhCOOuBB1aP_003hjE3s9yESEwxwm9Y1FSjbo1znuc9meHbzLvdoHmPFbQYEzVnuvtDhuw9ZcnQNSUY=&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
.

Stay informed about the pre-ICANN71 ccTLD news session here
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxSo4E8qk0dqItYfQH9cihpQXbo-4-flE-nQSUzAJx9ySYp05f4jRSQLxNaF3equkDzYp9Ro3xYYNKBptxfGvp_ysFkHNLzyv5FkSJ-ESLIeX1nKJMZo6wSxhgYkSS6oUilxjuSAVvgCi7vdnV6b82BR-PUNqE2GSa_0SolODX5RoEr_gTd2OhL_p9-BUgG54IMrX-hoMLGgnfzXL-29yEB7SFZoaCvN6hImdhnbpcDPSIBSllEVxhOY2A_lmqRsQwcg==&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
.
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apCyypU1p1VA5K4Ue_ryMu1lhbFL3hj1GkgKaDNtcX-YIyb2Uyo6pZTAdNtD_DO7DQXMGAPopryzoMu3ZPcM0d8FaEc_GXVHXnQ&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
ccTLD News Session #1
CCTLDS & SECURITY:
REGULATORY DEMANDS

Wednesday, 26 May 2021 13:00-14:30 UTC

Join Zoom Meeting
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxSo4E8qk0dqItRvF92kxQERMMKY08whBMeAGsOWohnPS2nYpIQ-rpftK-c1PN5eblmdBFHYka4BZqDcwqZyAF5Wpr1Zll3BCJxBhtLLN9ggMUrdzQazb2zzOXvYUxOdv3By-g7bVxnkkOAihyZ5vBtrRzH2zHcqp2vV0IfoRlgUTW&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
Meeting ID: 944 7450 9635
Passcode: 4F&5F#SD0M.

Which regulatory demands in the security-realm impact ccTLD operations? How
do ccTLDs respond? Join us for the first ccTLD News Session and listen to
representatives from ccTLD Managers across the globe.

* * *

Guðrun Poulsen (.fo) Session Chair | Joel Karubiu (.ke) | Yuri Takamatsu
(.jp) | Cath Goulding (.uk) | Alyssa Moore (.ca) | Crystal Peterson (.us)

* * *
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apCyypU1p1VA5K4Ue_ryMu1lhbFL3hj1GkgKaDNtcX-YIyb2Uyo6pZTAdNtD_DO7DQXMGAPopryzoMu3ZPcM0d8FaEc_GXVHXnQ&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
ccTLD News Session #2
DNS ABUSE: THE CCTLD EXPERIENCE

Thursday, 27 May 2021
05:00-06:30 UTC

Join Zoom Meeting
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxSo4E8qk0dqItDxOyVU3f3sAoQlNlcqpgBIJ-1Emq1-OQv1XicgBhHD3bQ-_uHvtFyzZO6Btb88SuxeS8S-ig-3VfRKlRVjq64dfj9T1sC_dPnLFEDrUI7_S_k_GKgQJjo_N1jKVgBqQHwnu2R4yzksI05kWa-zHBcg==&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
Meeting ID: 988 6514 4556
Passcode: ^jnUaD#M1m

Which efforts to combat DNS Abuse do ccTLD Managers from various regions
adopt? What are the challenges they are facing? Join us for the second
ccTLD News Session and learn about best practices and trends.

* * *

Guðrun Poulsen (.fo) Session Chair | Javier Rúa-Jovet (NomCom appointed
ccNSO Councillor) | Xuebiao Yuchi (.cn) | Angela Matlapeng (.bw) |
Guillermo Lama (.cl) | Marta Moreira Dias (.pt)

* * *
ccNSO planning for ICANN71
Links to bookmark now
ccNSO Schedule Hub
https://community.icann.org/x/WIG1CQ
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apCT1uaWSlrP5elmweV5244ACJNqvh_tYdkyg7feZ5eqUkGY1ErZPrInIKk0pDCSaDlTKxDL0aWDz4ZDxvyobGgTnoSWPg91VFJ&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>

ccNSO Members Meeting, including sessions held prior to ICANN71
https://community.icann.org/x/UYG1CQ
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apCyypU1p1VA5K4Ue_ryMu1lhbFL3hj1GkgKaDNtcX-YIyb2Uyo6pZTAdNtD_DO7DQXMGAPopryzoMu3ZPcM0d8FaEc_GXVHXnQ&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>

Tech Day
https://community.icann.org/x/a4G1CQ
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apChekHoQ85I-3sJkWZmINpLw9VkTBzjPaYjboG2NCLwYzU6uk73hOkVb-1oimkf1VuA1E6xmyhfEg1ZzykQzhMzoezJV7T43PS&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
ccTLD Community Webinar
There are 2 options to participate: Tuesday, 8 June 2021 (5 UTC) and
Wednesday, 9 June 2021 (13 UTC).
During this 1-hour webinar, the ccNSO Council Chair will help you to gain
an understanding of the work of the ccNSO, what to expect from the ccNSO at
the Virtual ICANN70 community Forum, as well as how ccTLD community
representatives can participate in the important work that affects you and
your region.

Read more here about the pre-ICANN71 ccTLD Community Webinar!
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apCyypU1p1VA5K4Ue_ryMu1lhbFL3hj1GkgKaDNtcX-YIyb2Uyo6pZTAdNtD_DO7DQXMGAPopryzoMu3ZPcM0d8FaEc_GXVHXnQ&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apCyypU1p1VA5K4Ue_ryMu1lhbFL3hj1GkgKaDNtcX-YIyb2Uyo6pZTAdNtD_DO7DQXMGAPopryzoMu3ZPcM0d8FaEc_GXVHXnQ&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
Tech Day

Tech Day will be held as a virtual
technical workshop at ICANN71 on
Monday, 14 June 2021 (12:30-15:30 UTC).

The Tech Working Group seeks presenters.

Proposals should preferably focus
on one of the following topics:
1.  DNSSEC, in particular within the EUR Region and with regards to
SHA-1 Transition
2.  DNS Abuse Prevention and Mitigation Tools
3.  Best security management practices, lines of defense, to protect the
registry from bad actors, attacks or malware.

Tech WG welcomes suggestions for
additional topics. Those interested
in presenting should contact
ccNSO-techday at icann.org

ccNSO Members Meeting

The following sessions will be held as part of the upcoming ccNSO Members
Meeting:

   1. The 3rd ccNSO Governance Session, regarding the ccNSO internal rules
   (Tue, 15 June 2021 | 07:00 - 08:00 UTC)
   2. A Question and Answer session with ccTLD-related ICANN Board members
   and others (Tuesday, 15 June 2021 | 10:30 - 12:00 UTC)
   3. A Policy Session, with community awareness raising of voting
   regarding the ccPDP3 Retirement policy, and consultation regarding ccPDP3
   Review Mechanism and ccPDP4 on the (de)selection of IDN TLD strings. (Wed,
   16 June 2021 | 10:30 - 12:00 UTC)

A CSC/PTI update to the community will be held on Wed, 16 June | 14:30 -
15:30 UTC. The ccNSO Council will meet on Thursday, 17 June (12:30 14:00
UTC), as well as the Strategic and Operational Planning Committee (SOPC |
07:00 - 08:00 UTC).

   - ICANN71 Policy Forum will be held as a Virtual Public Meeting during
   14-17 June 2021. Read the announcement here
   <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apC4W0LomPHrETFVYiIGeT4vRtqBOGXHre0Zy5_lain8XhcNPa71bW6MMxHYM59XNV939nWwm6rNxBaarSv3AJmB3l9_awo4yi4iRD4lh-RXJgrNEzGKsK4Bh083DcHm--A&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
   .
   - Sessions during ICANN71 will be held during regular working hours in
   The Hague, Netherlands (CEST / UTC+2, Amsterdam/Paris).
   - Prep Week will be held 1-3 June 2021. Register to participate.
   <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxSo4E8qk0dqItxVx3YzWw6JV3HOzobuSzyT16EVWO0kr1toCG1Xo-CrUfqlpP_Qp9Hwjlq9t0B_MqYA1v4JkUH86sieTJxU0uC2qhqmuY_NRB6HHgZ4ZD7lNuvcDN34Pp3g==&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
   - The Policy Forum schedule
   <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apCHUVcqevcq_hJS6Q7VBFUYYsdRVr7zhkrwFxKEbGJi2X1y_an4qsTWZdEReCuXpdNfvHPeNp-MMzg7K6_YYWhew==&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
is
   available as of 24 May 2021.
   - Explore virtual participation tools and download the participation
   guide here
   <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxStbWYTwm0apCyKJZNKIRtkJ5YOQM84IP_f75B64q15caW97pzk2OBl5oqDtEZ1UCspDQUTIaAxZjOJojTsL3_OaZqT8XzLiFJx-NJJU5gEWwPSXTjIF-C9Y=&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
   .

[image: Facebook] ‌
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxSuONmOs78gLZYAyIV_EKC1YolXVMLylXobLL9SbcOJyhu5xfStm_J1SfYTC3vceXbMWSOPPD6wnybfJlB6GTWHGiXIcJ6zaxDA==&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
[image:
Twitter] ‌
<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001pVLWtjeY5fb-EhduGsbv8D2k_-fs07vkbuFv9UkeYaB7Yo97S8WxSuONmOs78gLZ07Mh-Sx5tOtvKZBxg6PAXAeRvTIYi4cL0mbioHRfQfcRWSPUsWlPLPvv32E7lPDuxJbvC_lzs04_2-6AzrD17A==&c=bjvUAj7YK3B71IoYyHpSEwH4xLGuijIM2H7le2fxNC4GDRTViAdtbQ==&ch=Is8VVNiOQRfUnC8z5_DBwL8cj8mUTIftpxLapDWARHuXnW9tU7torw==&jrc=1>
ICANN | 12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536
Unsubscribe maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
<https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=00115LrDzKl3LoTB9FWCDiE2A%3D&ch=e0dfd250-bef1-11e7-83cd-d4ae5292c3f3&ca=729f67bf-e795-4ea0-b550-e48fd87c25aa>
Update Profile
<https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=00115LrDzKl3LoTB9FWCDiE2A%3D&ch=e0dfd250-bef1-11e7-83cd-d4ae5292c3f3&ca=729f67bf-e795-4ea0-b550-e48fd87c25aa>
| Constant Contact Data Notice
<https://www.constantcontact.com/legal/customer-contact-data-notice>
Sent by ccnsosecretariat at icann.org powered by
[image: Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.]
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=nge&rmc=VF19_3GE>
Try email marketing for free today!
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=nge&rmc=VF19_3GE>