[ALAC] [ALAC-Announce] A briefing by the European Commission

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Feb 19 08:39:59 UTC 2021

Hello all,

I recommended this Webinar as it feels somehow as a milestone in ICANN's
history.

The GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation, that was rolled out and
enforced by the European Commission, had a big impact on ICANN's
registration directory services. Whilst a replacement to WHOIS, the
database of domain name registrants, has been in research for many
years, the GDPR has changed the game and ICANN had to create an
"expedited policy development process - EPDP" in the GNSO to create new
rules relating to the access to registration data. That work is still in
progress.
However, in recent times, the European Commission has continued its work
on ICT issues by drafting a "Digital Services Act" and launched some
cybersecurity policy initiatives. Both these processes have the
potential to directly affect some of ICANN's work.
The milestone moment is that it is the first time that a number of
senior policy representatives from a governing body such as the European
Commission, are ready to interact directly not only with ICANN Org, but
also with the ICANN Community. Of course there have been plenty of
interactions in the past with the US Department of Commerce. There have
also been plenty of interactions with governments in the GAC. But this
time is different in that it is a set of non-US government
representatives ready to have a dialogue with the different ICANN
communities.
Personally I have mixed feelings about this: on the one hand, I think it
is a excellent opportunity to bring input to the European Commission -
and to also understand the underlying reasons behind some of the
proposed regulations. I am delighted that this interaction is taking
place! On the other hand, I wonder what would happen if each government
in the world were to start its own regulations and to engage the ICANN
community on each of these regulations? What I mean by this, is the
concern that was expressed in the latest Engagement Group on Internet
Governance Session that regulation has the potential for Internet
fragmentation. Yes, what a can of worms!

So that's why this forthcoming session sounds like it's going to be
super interesting on many levels. Don't miss it!

Kindest regards,

Olivier