[ALAC] EPDP Statements from others

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Jul 30 03:52:16 UTC 2020

Of the 9 groups on the EPDP, 7 have now either issued statements or
given their level of consensus on the report. Not yet seen are the
NCSG or the ISPCP. But the initial consensus level issue by the
acting Chair who happens to be an NCSG member may indicate their
level of support. Note that the Chair's assessment came out BEFORE
any of the other groups spoke up - it was his best estimate.

They make VERY interesting reading, and I strongly suggest that, at
least for current ALAC members, you read them all.

I am still expecting a GAC and SSAC statement, but it make take a bit
of time. No idea whether NCSG or ISPCP will submit one.

As expected, those with significant business interests (and paid
participation!) have made the strongest and most detailed statements.

I note that the level of consensus on some recommendation will be
interesting. There are 7 groups on the EPDP and it looks like 4 or 5
may not support certain recommendations. It is not clear how the
rating of the groups will impact consensus. My understanding is that
all groups should be given equal weight, so 4 or 5 out of 9 would be
DIVERGENCE (see the definitions of Consensus at the end of the
Chair's document).

On the other hand, the NCSG has repeatedly argued that for the groups
within the GNSO, they must be weighted based on their votes in the
GNSO Council (not quite but basically NCSG = Ry = Rr = (IPC+BC+ISPC))
and they have never said how the ACs would be factored into that.

In the past, the GNSO Council has tended to approve recommendations
with Full Consensus or Consensus. I don't think they have accepted
recommendation with "Strong Support but Significant Opposition" and
certainly not "Divergence". Perhaps Cheryl can confirm.

As other things come in, I will forward them.

What we must decide is whether any of this makes us want to either
revise our statement or add an addendum. My initial inclination is to
go the addendum route.